Trouble with mail...

Rory

I am having trouble accessing my mail...

When I type in my email address and password in the Neotech front screen, it states that my username and password are invalid. I keep trying, ensuring I type what I usually type, but neither of my two accounts work.

I go into my main main DirectAdmin control panel to look at my POP3 email accounts, and it states:
'Cannot open the user password file for reading'
It won't even let me create a new email account...

Anyway this can be sorted? :confused:

Hello,

Something must have happend to your passwd file. It's located in:

/etc/virtual/domain.com/passwd

Make sure it exists and is readable by the "mail" user.

John

Sorry, I must apologise. I'm having trouble locating the area you are referring to.

Is this on my DirectAdmin Control Panel? Or is it in one of my FTP folders? I can't find any files/folders called etc or virtual or domain.com or passwd. I'm sure its just because I'm a bit slow on the tech front. If you could please help me further, I would be thankful.

Hello,

That is located through ssh. If you have root acccess to your server, you'll need to ssh in, and then type:
Code:
mkdir -p /etc/virtual/domain.com
cd /etc/virtual/domain.com
touch passwd
chown mail:mail passwd
chmod 600 passwd
cd ..
chown mail:mail domain.com
chmod 711 domain.com

That's just a brute force approach to reset the permissions. Remember to replace domain.com with your domain. You'll also need root access to do that. If you require assistance, please send us your ip, root password, as well as the login and password used to access directadmin (the one that is used when you get the error) to [email protected] .

John

Hello,

I've just realized that your domain is probably suspended... not your account, but just your domain. Go to:

User Panel -> Advanced Options -> Host Additional Domains -> selec the domain -> click suspend/unsuspend (if it's suspended).

Then, click: domain.com -> set bandwidth to "Share with main Account" to prevent it from happening again.

John

Back