Problem with NameServers Lists

abode

Verified User
Not sure where this problem lies. I have posted this here as well as hosting provider and whoiscart forum. Could be a combination of all.

Here is the problem.
I am using whoiscart (www.whoiscart.net) software which has a plug in to directadmin to automatically create the hosting account when a customer orders and pays for account.

My hosting provider is hostelite (www.hostelite.com)
I manually register the domain name at openSRS (no plug in used)

For the accounts that are automatically created by the whoiscart plug in the domain name does not resolve correctly and comes up with a nameserver list problem.
(look at http://www.dnsreport.com for pyramiddiamond.com, wonder-clean.co.uk, jbphysio.com) to see what I mean.

If you type these domains into the browser they can't be found. But the whois shows up and the nameservers are correct.

If you look at another domain www.abodeonlineservices.net where I created the account manually usuing the control panel the domain name resolves correctly and there are no errors at dnsreport. I don't seem to have a problem with another account I created manually either hedgeyourbets.com

I have just deleted an account that was created and readded it manually to see what effect that has, but will need to wait for domain registration to go through to see if this domain works okay.

This leads me to believe that there could be something wrong with the way the whoiscart is interacting with the directadmin software.

Can you think of anything that would be causing the problem, which appears to be that the list entries for the domain names are not correct on the server?

Also do you no what is required to fix the entries for those that are not correct (I think I probably don't have access to fix it but can pass on info to hostelite support)?

Look forward to hearing your comments as I have 8 customers who's domain names aren't working.

Many thanks
Wayne

Here are some of the errors from DNSreport

Lame nameservers
ERROR: You have one or more lame nameservers. These are nameservers that do NOT answer authoritatively for your domain. This is bad; for example, these nameservers may never get updated. The following nameservers are lame:

Missing nameservers 2
ERROR: One or more of the nameservers listed at the parent servers are not listed as NS records at your nameservers. The problem NS records are:
ns1.esecuresite3.com.
ns2.esecuresite3.com.

SOA MNAME Check
ERROR: Your SOA (Start of Authority) record states that your master (primary) name server is: . However, that is not a valid domain name!

There are quite a few more but they are the first to appear.

Hello,

Those domains are working fine on my end. Perhaps it was just a propogation issue.

John

Fixed by deleting

Hi John

Thanks for the response.

I had to delete the hosting accounts and then recreate them and then domain name worked.

Don't think it was propergation as the domains were registered over a week ago.

Cheers
Wayne

I am having this same issue on one server I can't find a problem but I know something is happening:

There is a big thread about this one particular server on my forums:
http://forums.dixiesys.com/index.php?showtopic=6306

I've had dnsreports show the "lame server" errors a few times yet most times not.

I'm at a real loss on this one.

Server is Redhat 9 nothing real out ofthe ordinary about the only "option" is the spamassassin stuff is enabled other than that it is pretty much bone-stock DA install.

A lame nameserver is a server that's listed as an active nameserver but not authoritative for the account.

Troubleshooting:

1) make sure the domian is still active and not suspended or removed for nonpayment of renewal.

2) make sure the domain uses your nameservers (check whois).

3) make sure your system has zone files for the domain, and that the zone files are properly built and are accurate.

4) restart your nameserver.

OR

5) call in a professional (see my sig :) ).

Jeff

I spent all afternoon and I think I found the problem(s).

#1 - at Enom.com both name servers (a&b for this server) were registered with the same ip.

#2 - for the zone files for the DNS domain the nameservers were given .100 and .101 in the zone file but the name servers were really .102 and .103 so that really seemed to cause some hitches.

Fixed the dns zone files so the nameservers lookup with the same ip they reverse to and I modified the nsxxb to be the proper ip and I am hoping this was my monkeywrench...

Back