Hacked?!?

Hopefully you'll learn from the experience and we can all learn from your experiences.

Please let us know how you come out and what you learn.

Jeff

My sites have been hacked into also and I'd appreciate a little more support than "let us know how you come out and what you learn."

That's why I'm at this forum -- to learn!

How did this breach of security happen?

What is Newwebsite going to do to stop future hijackings?

I tried calling but nobody answered.

I haven't yet tried to overlay the hacker page with the real site -- but I presume they changed my password. If so, what do I do? They didn't tell me the new one.

I'm going now to try to put up my real site at my main domain but will leave the one at www.auction-sales-writing.com up so you can see it. Wouldn't that help the investigation?

It was NOT a domain level hack -- all my newwebsite sites are hacked, so it was done at web hosting level.

Again, what are you doing? Is there something I should be doing that I'm not? I don't give out my password. So what should I be doing?

What specifically should I be learning
and all of us be learning to prevent this?

I've never had it happen at any other
web hosts.

thanks,

here's the email i recieved

Hi Isaac,

We do not have any back ups. Sorry. Everybody was hacked.
All the index files were replaced.

Floyd

Passwords still work
hopefully you have ALL your files backed up. Index.htm, Index.html, Index.php, and index.cgi files were all edited by a script enacted on the server. I have replaced all of mine.

Webmail cannot be fixed by us, so if you use the adminpanel to access your email, you're not going to get to it. You can't even currently get to the control panel (index.cgi having been editted). All these things need to repaired on server side of things.

I did a bit of searching on my own
heres some info about "dom-team" though i cannot yet verify that it is legit info:

Domain Name.......... dom-team.com
Creation Date........ 2005-07-17
Registration Date.... 2005-07-17
Expiry Date.......... 2007-07-17
Organisation Name.... Belinda Teachey
Organisation Address. 445 Pinehurst Circle
Organisation Address.
Organisation Address. Hampstead
Organisation Address. 28443
Organisation Address. NC
Organisation Address. UNITED STATES

Admin Name........... Belinda Teachey
Admin Address........ 445 Pinehurst Circle
Admin Address........
Admin Address........ Hampstead
Admin Address........ 28443
Admin Address........ NC
Admin Address........ UNITED STATES
Admin Email.......... [email protected]
Admin Phone.......... +1.9102642334
Admin Fax............

Tech Name............ Hostmaster Hostmaster
Tech Address......... 1375 Peachtree St.
Tech Address......... Level A
Tech Address......... Atlanta
Tech Address......... 30309
Tech Address......... GA
Tech Address......... UNITED STATES
Tech Email........... [email protected]
Tech Phone........... +1.8889321997
Tech Fax............. +1.7177035107
Name Server.......... dns2.earthlink.net
Name Server.......... dns3.earthlink.net

I just re-"uploaded" my site to the server, using FrontPage. No change in password.

FrontPage seemed to think it worked.

But guess what? When I go to my site with my browser, the hacker page is still there!!

What's going on and how do I stop this?

i used FTP software and made sure to allow the index files to be over written. I'm not sure how to do this with frontpage, i've never done it before

rickstoker said:
My sites have been hacked into also and I'd appreciate a little more support than "let us know how you come out and what you learn."

That's why I'm at this forum -- to learn!
Okay, let's move on then.

This is the forum where users of DirectAdmin software learn about the DirectAdmin software they've bought and paid for. Others, who either have reseller accounts with hosting companies or have domains hosted with companies, those companies using DirectAdmin, are also welcome.

However we can't help you unless you're a licensed DirectAdmin user with root access to your server, because we don't know what's going on inside your server, and if we ask you questions you can't tell us the answers, because you can't log in as root to find out.

Are you a licensed owner of the DirectAdmin software system?
How did this breach of security happen?
The only way I'm going to know that is to log into your server as root and look around. If you can log into your server as root, then you can use tools such as http://www.chkrootkit.org/]chkrootkit[/URL] and/or rootkit-hunter. To use these helpful tools to answer your question you have to be able to log into your server as root, and install and run them as root.
What is Newwebsite going to do to stop future hijackings?
We're not Newwebsite, so we have no way of knowing. Do you mean the website:

http://www.newwebsite.com/

If so, their contact page is here.
I tried calling but nobody answered.
If they don't respond to the addresses (snailmail and email) and phone numbers listed there, you can find a non-toll-free number and a fax number in their whois record; you can look up their whois record here.
I haven't yet tried to overlay the hacker page with the real site -- but I presume they changed my password. If so, what do I do? They didn't tell me the new one.
It's doubtful they changed your password, though it's possible. It's more likely they used a script that modified all the websites on the server. If they did change your password, only your hosting company can help you.
I'm going now to try to put up my real site at my main domain but will leave the one at www.auction-sales-writing.com up so you can see it. Wouldn't that help the investigation?
Probably not.
It was NOT a domain level hack -- all my newwebsite sites are hacked, so it was done at web hosting level.
Which is why your webhosting company is who you need to turn to for support, and why I don't think your password was changed. I don't think they even know or care what your username is.
Again, what are you doing?
Me? I'm taking valuable time out of my day to educate you and others about why writing to the control panel company is the last place to go for help when your website is hacked. It's probably a thankless job, but I try :) .

I'm also listening to the (nice, btw) classical music that either you installed with your site, or they installed with your hack. I hope you're not being charged for the bandwidth; it makes great background music for my office :) .
Is there something I should be doing that I'm not? I don't give out my password. So what should I be doing?
The most important thing you can do as a client of a webhosting company is choose carefully.

Always try the phone number and email first, before buying, to make sure you get timely responses.

You can make sure you don't use PHP settings that leave you vulnerable; there are many versions of software out there, software in heavy use by lots of website owners, that can be used to hack an entire server. I won't name any of them (though searching these forums may be quite productive) because the list changes daily.

You can make sure you don't use vulnerable software; again that list changes daily.

The most important thing a webhosting company can do is act proactively and have a plan in place so that even if you are hacked you can be back up and running quickly. I'd add that you should host with a company that keeps your software up to date and does your backups for you, except that if I did some would complain I'm advertising my own company :) .
What specifically should I be learning
and all of us be learning to prevent this?
That hosting in a shared environment involves many risks, as any software running on the entire server can be used as an avenue of attack to bring down your site(s).

You might host with a company that sets your site up on multiple servers so if one has problems the others will continue to work (we and others offer that).

If your sites must be up all the time you may need to get a "managed resources" account (we and others offer them) where only you use the resources of your own virtual server, so you only have to worry about your own content, and not content of others, which might bring down the server.

You might also decide your own server, even if you've only got one domain name.
I've never had it happen at any other
web hosts.
I don't know anything about your hosting company, but with so much hacking going on daily, I'd still say that though they might have contributed to the possibility of a hack with loose security, it's pretty much just your rotten luck today.

Jeff

rickstoker said:
But guess what? When I go to my site with my browser, the hacker page is still there!!
Their page is named index.html.
Your page, written by FrontPage, is probably named default.htm.

If you delete the index.html page your site will probably magically reappear.

And since it's unlikely the hack actually deleted any of your files, but just wrote (or overwrote) index.html, that might have been all you needed to do. You can delete the file through the DA control panel File Manager.
What's going on and how do I stop this?
See my previous response.

Jeff

TheNothing said:
I did a bit of searching on my own
heres some info about "dom-team" though i cannot yet verify that it is legit info:
Might be. More likely it's something they either made up, or they're trying to get someone in trouble.

Since actually breaking in to the server is a crime, it's unlikely they'd leave an easy trace like that.

However there are various places you can report this to, including your hosting company, the Hampstead, NC police, the NC State Attorney General's office, and the US Federal Bureau of Investigation. Whether any of them would do anything about it, I have no idea.

There are probably a half million or so of these hacks every day.

Jeff

Since this thread is really off-topic as it's not about anything DirectAdmin specific, I've moved it to:

Off-Topic Discussion

Jeff

Me? I'm taking valuable time out of my day to educate you and others about why writing to the control panel company is the last place to go for help when your website is hacked. It's probably a thankless job, but I try.
Thankyou! Your an inspiration to us all :cool:

I'm also listening to the (nice, btw) classical music that either you installed with your site, or they installed with your hack. I hope you're not being charged for the bandwidth; it makes great background music for my office .
ROFL

I find that I need to reply to this because Google has indexed it and some of my potential customers are reading it and would like an answer.

rickstoker and TheNothing had no business posting here as they are not even on a directadmin server. It did not happen on any of our new directadmin servers. Security is no as big an issue anymore on directadmin servers. Not that security is taken lightly. Its just easier to maintain sercurity now compared to the way things were done years ago.

rickstoker does host on directadmin (simply type in the domain name followed by :2222 to verify). We can't tell if TheNothing does or not because his sites aren't resolving.

That said, this post makes it clear that DA had nothing to do with their insecurity and that the best way to good security is to find a good hosting firm and then take all the step you need to take yourself.

I don't see why the thread should be deleted. It teaches some good lessons.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

rickstooker is NOT on a DirectAdmin server. His domain he mentioned is auction-sales-writing.com and is not even a registered domain anymore. Dramatic-Sales-Writing.com in his sig is not on a DirectAdmin server.

Maybe you are getting confused with my domain Thenothing who is on a DirectAdmin server now. But he was not when his site was hacked almost a year ago.

I didn't say anything about the thread needing to be deleted. I just needed to explain a little because other people are seeing this post now when searching for comments about Newwebsite.

I really didn't even expect a reply to my post. My post was to provide some sort of explanation to people who happened upon this page and that is all.

Newwebsite may bear some responsibility for the hacked sites. But we did provide information on how to restore the sites.

rickstooker posted here about an hour after an email was sent to him explaining what he needed to do to restore his sites. The email went out 7-22-05 01:19 AM gmt. He posted here at 01:29 AM gmt. He replied to my email at 01:27 AM gmt a full 2 minutes before his post here where he stated that he could not reach us.

TheNothing posted here less than an hour before the email from Newwebsite went out at 12:27 AM gmt.

Almost everybody was notified of the problem and given instructions on how to fix their site before they even knew anything was wrong.

Its not like we just waited around for customers to find out for themselves. Maybe we could have prevented the problem, maybe we could not have. I don't remember exactly how the hackers got in. Its been almost a year since then. But we did take appropriate and proactive action after it was discovered to alert our customers.

And it is also worth noting that both are still customers of Newwebsite.

I just wanted to explain a little because I have another potential customer who saw this thread and was concerned about it.

I can take criticism as well as the next person. One of the reasons I switched to DirectAdmin is because of security. I just wanted anybody who came across this thread to know that what may have been true a year ago is no longer true.

That you for all your support, Jeff. This is a great forum and DirectAdmin is a great product. Currently I have 48 licenses so I really believe in it.

floyd said:
rickstooker is NOT on a DirectAdmin server. His domain he mentioned is auction-sales-writing.com and is not even a registered domain anymore. Dramatic-Sales-Writing.com in his sig is not on a DirectAdmin server.

Maybe you are getting confused with my domain Thenothing who is on a DirectAdmin server now. But he was not when his site was hacked almost a year ago.
Yes, I got it backwards.
I didn't say anything about the thread needing to be deleted. I just needed to explain a little because other people are seeing this post now when searching for comments about Newwebsite.
No you didn't; I got defensive because of the post praising me :) .
Thank you for all your support, Jeff.
You're very welcome. I try to do the best I can, as do all of us, the volunteers and the DA staff alike.
This is a great forum and DirectAdmin is a great product.
Agreed

Jeff

Newwebsite Satisfied User

As we are on the Off-Topic Discussion, I'd like to add my two cents regarding Floyd's support of users with DirectAdmin.

Floyd's support while I moved 100+ sites from a different host to newwebsite.com was and continues to be outstanding.

I asked for extra IPs, got them immediately. I asked for a PTR record, no problem. And more things that I shouldn't really add, because it begins to sound like a commercial plug.

These are all requests that my previous provider would take up to a week to honor.

I originally asked for a reseller package to move a *few* sites, and was so impressed at his support, I immediately upgraded to a dedicated server and moved everything.

Floyd has installatron for DA included and other things, which substantially adds value to his offerings. He even has the awstats plugin ready to go when you sign up. His support is above and beyond in my book.

Is his network secure? I get hit just as much as anyone with probes and such, but I take my server security seriously and have bothered to read the DA docs, installed my firewall, secured my email, use strong passwords, added SSL certificates and force all control panel logins through SSL, etc., etc., etc.

If I were to get hacked, the last person I would blame would be Floyd and/or newwebsite, when this is clearly MY responsibility.

Finally. Today I had one issue raised by a customer. I believed the question merited an answer from my provider because I like to be a good customer and make sure I don't break the terms of service. Wrote a direct message to Floyd. Got an answer in under FIVE minutes.

Carlos
PanamaSpace.com

Back