Is this legal??

They're also a little misleading on what's included with the license. I assume by "full technical support" they mean 90 days technical support... (Like the DA-bought license.)

Unless the seller is actually DirectAdmin (John / Mark) the legitimacy of the auction im assuming would depend on the type of license it was sold as.

If it was sold directly as a lifetime license with a genuine value of $299 USD i would assume its perfectly legal.

If the license was sold through DirectAdmin as a lifetime license under the internal pricing structure (with an approved internal partner) i would assume its against the DirectAdmin agreement.

As stated on the pricing page; 'Internal licenses must always be sold with a server (reselling the licenses by themselves is not permitted)'

From the look of things, it is either John or Mark who have placed the offer, or it is likely to be an internal license sold against the agreement set by DirectAdmin... To be honest i cant really see a $299 license being sold for $99....

The only one who can confirm this is legal / illegal are the DirectAdmin staff and im sure either way they will do what they need.

Chris

internal licenses go from $49 up to $89 for lifetime if you install - my reasoning for thinking if its not John or Mark, then its internal, As stated in my previous post - the only people who can say if its legal or not would be Mark and / or John.

Chris

Sorry for not responding earlier guys -- they are valid licenses and come with the same thing as if you paid $299 for them. It is a promotional offer to help kickstart hostauctioneer.com.

If you win the auction, you still deal with us.

Mark

I'd guess its an offer made by directadmin to help out with hostauctioneer which as a lot of you probably know is run by two-a-t who is a member here and a customer of DirectAdmin. As thats the case id guess its for Host-Auctioneer ONLY and the offer not to be passed on, although once again we will need Mark or John to confirm this.

Chris

Seller : DirectAdmin

That shoulda been their first clue :D

Yes, everyone, Mark and John were kind enough to offer some special priced licenses on the site both to help generate some additional traffic and to gain more traffic to DA from the 3 issues of advertising that the auction site is going to have in Ping! Zine starting with the November issue that should be in mailbox's next week.

So, it's a double purpose offering. More traffic to HostAuctioneer.com and more traffic from magazine readers to DA.

But, now that the cat's outta the bag, I hope there are still some of the DA listings left when the magazine hits! Otherwise the idea behind them drawing more traffic to DA will be kinda mute point! I have a feeling after the smoke clears, there won't be any left 24 hours from now except the one license being offered at auction with NO RESERVE :D

I've said this to them in person but I'll say it here as well.. thanks Mark and John. Just add this to the things that make you guys and DA better than any of the others.. I guarantee none of the others would do something like this to help one of their client's get more traffic!

:)

Last edited:
And just to clarify, you can do whatever you wish with the license, short of reselling it to someone else. If you bid on it, the license should be for personal use.

Mark

Subject Auction closed - you win!

Ok, I took the plunge. Where do I pay, and how do I get the license? There's nothing in the e-mail concerning it.

Now its been confirmed im happy to start the bidding... and have done... ready to go up as other bids come in :D

Chris

hostpc.com,

Please contact me via IM (listed in my profile) about your bids. You actually bid on 2 copies of DA and we need to do something about the 2nd one since you are only allowed 1 of these licenses.

Good luck on the listing you bid on, Chris :)

That listing should be very interesting since it's a NO RESERVE listing and could go for any price depending on who bids against you! :D

I should clarify this for everyone:

If you click on one of the $99 "Buy Now" listings and just place a bid, it cancels the "Buy Now" option and turns the listing into a regular auction to the highest bidder.

If you want to take advantage of the "Buy Now" price, you MUST click the "Buy Now" icon to do so. That is the ONLY way to get the license at the $99 price.

Happy bidding!

Last edited:
This biding system is strange.
I only got a confirmation email. I don't have the feeling that I just won the auction since I did not pay yet.

Do we have to wait for the seller to contact us?

The payment doesnt go through host auctioneer. I would suggest either contacting Two-A-T or directadmin regarding it :)

Chris

Back