Question about IPs

Derrick

Verified User
This is my firs time using directadmin. I have 3 IPs. 1 is assigned to the server, then I want one for reseller clients and 1 for shared clients. I have added each of these into the system. Having trouble assigning resellers or shared account to a specific ip.

Thanks for any help,
Derrick

Hello,

At the momment, if you want to assign multiple Resellers the same IP to share, and you want to that IP to not be the server IP, you need to do the following:

1) Assign the IP to the admin
2) Goto the Reseller Panel, IP Manager, set the IP to "Shared"
3) As root via ssh, add the IP to the ip.list file for each of the Resellers who need it. You'll need to do this step for each Reseller you create.
/usr/local/directadmin/data/users/resellername/ip.list

That's it! :)

John

So what is the point of having multiple IPs? Just if you want someone to have a unique IP? Shared clients can all go on 1 IP that doesnt have to be the server IP?

Thanks,
Derrick

you can run your server, dns and 1000 sites (infact many more than 1000 sites) from 2 IP addresses. you only need exclusive ip based sites for things such as private SSL.

Chris

Ok so my server is IP 110

I have 111 and 112 also

If i want all of my shared hosting accounts to use 111

i go into reseller panel -> ip config-> set 111 to shared?

Then my hosting clients would goto their registrar and

put in ns1.mydomain.com ns2.mydomain.com

and that would be right?

I think i have something wrong just cant figure out what.

No. The shared IP does not have to be the IP of your nameservers.

To keep everything seperate:

NS1 - 110
NS2 - 111
SHARED - 112

Now if your clients *WANT* their own nameservers they can go to their domain registar and add the host records for:

ns1.mydomain.com - 110
ns2.mydomain.com - 111

you *CAN* alternatively put NS1 / NS2 on other IPS if you want your shared to be 111, for example:

NS1 - 110
NS2 - 112
SHARED - 111

then the nameservers for clients own domains just changes to:

ns1.mydomain.com - 110
ns2.mydomain.com - 112

If you want it can even be setup using only 2 IP addresses:

NS1 - 110
NS2 - 111
SHARED - 110 *OR* 111

all methods are 100% ok, i prefer to use one of the top 2 as it keeps everything seperate, and helps with DNS problems you may come across later on.

Also, Please take a look at my server checklist in the general discussion forum. It has a few guides with DNS and giving your clients their own DNS without using seperate nameservers (as you mentioned earlier, although there is more to it :) )

Chris

DirectAdmin Support said:
Hello,

At the momment, if you want to assign multiple Resellers the same IP to share, and you want to that IP to not be the server IP, you need to do the following:

1) Assign the IP to the admin
2) Goto the Reseller Panel, IP Manager, set the IP to "Shared"
3) As root via ssh, add the IP to the ip.list file for each of the Resellers who need it. You'll need to do this step for each Reseller you create.
/usr/local/directadmin/data/users/resellername/ip.list

That's it! :)

John
And you'd have to change the ip address the reseller currently holds since the reseller is created with the server's ip address. You can edit it when you log in as the user and then change the "own user data" and set it to the ip you've just 'assigned' when you edited the ip.list file.

Back