Staying up to date with ports

vertangie

Verified User
Hi people

I'm trying to wrap my head around Ports, packages and FreeBSD. I'm happy compiling things like perl but this package stuff is making my head hurt.

I've been through the forums and the freebsd site and it's all *so* verbose I've gone cross eyed.

I currently have FreeBSD5.3 running with Perl 5.8.6 and Apache2/Mod_Perl2 and I'm trying to upgrade Perl to 5.8.7 and then rebuild all the custom apache stuff.

I got it installed before!

Question 1.
Is there an easy way to update my ports collection so it knows about the latest versions.

I didn't set up the port system myself in the first place. I wish I had I wouldn't be so scared of breaking it then.... Never let the ISP do things for you, you're just putting off the inevitable.

So any clues are welcome. Just please don't tell me to RTFM as I'm inclined to beat something up with it right now ;)

There's got to be a neat little command to get the ports tree (have I got that right even) up to date.

Thanks so much

Angie

It would be easiest to CVSup the ports collection then use portupgrade to upgrade all your ports installed.

A how to about how to update all the ports would be great.

I'm familiar with yum/up2date on redhat/centos boxes, but kinda new with FreeBSD ;)

Back