fingergear compatible with DA?

matthewventura

Verified User
Anyone know if DA can run on a system using the fingergear computer on a stick or the usb bio flash drive?

I've never heard of it being done.

I just took a look at the fingergear website, keep in mind that DirectAdmin doesn't work on Windows ;)

If you were to install say linux. You would need a minimalist installation, but even if you could find a small one, you'd be cutting it awfully close on a 256mb flash stick.

May I ask why you want to run DirectAdmin on such a device?

I was thinking that it would increase security and it would be nice to be able to plug it in and have the security of being able to have a biometric scan available.

Also I think it could be used to troubleshoot stalled servers in a datacenter environment. (http://fingergear.com)

They run Linux:

The FingerGear Bio USB Flash Drive with LCD is the most portable and secure USB data storage device on the market today. With its own LCD to guide you through fingerprint setup and operation, the FingerGear device requires no software to run on a host PC.

The FingerGear Bio USB Flash Drive is both PC, Linux, & Mac interoperable and truly Plug-n-Play. Using Bionopoly’s highly accurate onboard fingerprint engine, a single swipe of the finger confirms a user's identity and grants the access to their secured data.

Using the latest USB 2.0 silicon, the FingerGear Flash Drive family are capable of blazingly fast read speeds up to 18 Megabytes per second and write speeds of up to 13 Megabytes per second.

Features
Simple LCD Setup & Operation
Built-in One-Time Passcode (OTP) Generator
No Software Required
Fingerprint Authentication in < 2 Seconds
Up to 1:10000 False Acceptance Rate
Capacities
256MB (in stock), 512MB, 1GB, 2GB, 4GB
Interface
USB 1.1 (Full Speed) & 2.0 (High Speed)
Operating System
Windows 98SE/2000/ME/XP
Mac OS 9.2.1+ or 10.1.2+
Linux OS
Dimensions (L x W x H)
97mm x 30mm x 16mm
Warranty
1 Year Product Replacement Warranty
Security
Onboard Encryption Key
FingerGear Encryptor™ Utility - AES 256-bit Drag and Drop Encryption (for Windows). Register to download.
Up to 5 additional users
Data retention
Up to 10 years
Assembled in each package
Fingerprint USB Flash Drive
3’ USB 2.0 Extension Cable
Neck Lanyard with Detachable Clip
User Guide

http://fingergear.com/bio_usb_flash_drive.php

---

The Computer-On-a-Stick (COS) is a USB Flash Drive featuring its own Onboard Operating System together with a full suite of Microsoft Office-compatible applications.

The Computer-On-a-Stick also boasts the powerful Mozilla Firefox Web Browser, Evolution email, and Yahoo & MSN compatible Instant Messenger for superior Internet connectivity

Plug the Computer-On-a-Stick into your PC or Laptop and instantly transform your old environment into a new and powerful secure workstation - without a hard disk!

The combination of low cost and a powerful Onboard Operating System opens up a whole new paradigm of computing. Users get all the benefits of a thin client solution without changing their existing PC hardware or software.

Use the Computer-On-a-Stick when your PC or Laptop’s existing OS slows to a crawl or even fails.
Use the Computer-On-a-Stick to continue working on Windows-compatible documents.
The Computer-On-a-Stick is compatible with files created in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Paint, and more…
No need to pay for expensive new software releases or upgrades $$$ !
View and create Adobe PDF files
Share a pool of office PCs or work from home without changing your own desktop each time you use the device.
Reduce your exposure to viruses, worms and spyware by running applications from a read-only partition on the device.
Connect to remote servers with secure connectivity tools, including VNC, SSH and RDP.

High Speed (USB 2.0)
Ultra Fast System Startup with USB 2.0
Shutdown within seconds
Web, email and remote server or PC access
Non-volatile Flash memory for all stored data.
Capacities: 256MB, 512MB, 1G, 2G, 4G, up to 8 Gigabytes!
Compression utility with password protection
No hard disk required
Linux 2.6.x Series Kernel
Gnome GUI Desktop
Latest Mozilla Firefox Web Browser
OpenOffice Productivity Suite, including the following applications:

1. Word Processing
2. Spreadsheets
3. Vector Drawings
4. Slide Presentations

Evolution Email
Gaim Instant Messaging Client - compatible with MSN Messenger, Yahoo IM, AIM, ICQ, IRC, and more.
Remote Access Applications (SSH, VNC, RDP)
PDF Creator/Viewer & Postscript Viewer
Automatic Network Configuration - DHCP

http://fingergear.com/bio_usb_flash_drive.php

matthewventura said:
I was thinking that it would increase security
How does it increase security to run software on a flash drive vs a real hard drive?
and it would be nice to be able to plug it in and have the security of being able to have a biometric scan available.
The only time that would be an issue would be at boot time. And then if you need to have someone else at the data center do a boot, you can't.
Also I think it could be used to troubleshoot stalled servers in a datacenter environment.
Yes, but you don't need DA on it to do that.

The important advantage of having a flash drive is that you can move it from system to system, but that's not an advantage on a DA installation because DA will only run on the IP# for which it's registered.

You can find the DA requirements here; if you can get both a complete working Linux distribution from the list on that page, and DA, both on that flash drive then you can do it.

Try it :) .

Jeff

I've been in cases where I need to boot from a CD and its a pain to get the CD hooked up.

The finger gear computer on a stick would help there.

Also you can change IP's by just configuring a file so you could have a backup of your important system data, if your server is a dumb server and the websites are on NFS, then if your computer crashed you just plug this in and get it running in a few seconds (long enough to change over the IP.)

How much disk space does a minimal install of DA take up? It says here that the finger gear computer on a stick COS can hold up to 8GB. That should be enough to hold your emergency copy of DA and Linux/FreeBSD on it:

Capacities: 256MB, 512MB, 1G, 2G, 4G, up to 8 Gigabytes!
http://www.fingergear.com/computer_on_a_stick.php

They say up to 8 G, but they only sell up to 256MB.

Have you seen this, it appears to be something similar, running linux.

Jeff

jlasman, that product is ok, but its overkill

1) its bigger and heavier than the fingergear (by a lot)

2) it has its own cpu and such which is more than is needed - COS just uses the the CPU of the computer but carries your OS and files with it.

3) its way more expensive than the fingergear products

4) i just need a tool that will allow me to get going fast and wont require a lot of configuration or possible downtime due to misconfiguration

so far the fingergear cos seems the best bet for this super portable market

it comes with linux pre-installed, foxfire, email, ms office, pdf, yahoo messenger, msn messenger, unzip and zip, 256 encryption so I wont need to add much more

Back