webmail login ID problems

axsever

Okay, I'm running DA on a FreeBSD 5.4 box and it seems to be going really well but I am having some really strange problems with webmail login (neotech).

Initially I created a an admin account for myself seperate from the main admin account. I set myself up as a user with a a domain and admin priv.

I can log in to directadmin with no problem and make changes and such but I have a weird issue logging in to the neotech webmail client.

If i try to login as [email protected] - I get an error - invalid username or password - but I can login with just "alan" as the user id and same password.

I figured this was a problem with the admin/reseller accounts and how they were associated with the domains.

So, I created a new admin account for msyelf - 306host. This admin, as a reseller then created the user [email protected] - now I can log in as [email protected] in webmail no problem and 306host logs in as just "306host" -

No problem, I thought - so I installed my 6 resellers and migrated their 40 users over from my old system.

I set each of the resellers up with their own dumb reseller name like 306host and created users for their primary mailbox - for instance - I created the reseller RAINBOW for rainbow.com and created a user under them [email protected] - now when lisa tries to log in - she can't do it - same error - same problem - she can login as "lisa" but not "[email protected]" this only happens on SOME of the account - another reseller - Talentwest has the user erik@talentwest - and erik logs in just fine as erik@talentwest and can't login as erik.

What the heck? I'm not using squirrel mail as I haven't been able to get IMAP to run correctly, but that shouldn't matter for neotech webmail from what I understand.

Last edited:
I found another thread that talks about this in terms of "master" accounts that are actual machine user accounts DA creates and email/pop accounts that are "virtual".

So, the whole initial problem makes sense - if it's a master user account you log in with just userid -if it's a virtual account you need to login as [email protected].

Is there anyway to blend this all together to POP/SMTP login will work with a user as a virtual?

IE can I setup the master account "lisa" to be able to log in as "lisa" or "[email protected]" when it authenticates? It seems kind of silly and confusing to have to switch between the two - she's the same person either way she logs in.

She's the same person but the mailboxes are not the same and are not located in the same place.

That's because system users are managed by the linux system and mailboxes are managed by DA.

The reason is simple; otherwise you couldn't have [email protected] and [email protected].

Jeff

Back