Using UW instead of Courier IMAP

hostpc.com

Verified User
http://www.squirrelmail.org/wiki/en_US/FolderListWithUW

best is to not use UW. It's terribly slow with large mailboxes. Courier-IMAP is significantly better, and extremely easy to convert to. Install Courier, run the 'convert-and-create' script (get it from qmail.org) or any of its peers/variants, and change the SquirrelMail config from 'uw' to 'courier'. It'll work better, it'll work faster, and it'll be more secure. Regardless of what you may have heard, converting to Courier-IMAP does not break POP3 access, does not require Sendmail changes, does not require a ton of work at all.

We're experiencing a few problems with customers trying to setup squirrelmail.

Is there an easy way to change IMAP over to Courier-IMAP?

Problems:

Multiple (duplicate) folder listings:
INBOX
Drafts
Sent
Trash
INBOX.Drafts
INBOX.Sent
INBOX.Trash

login userid for each user is username, not [email protected] - not necessarily a "problem" but it breaks tradition with the built in webmail and pop3 settings.

Any feedback from John or anyone with experience in this would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

Joe

We(reselers on H-Shpere) use Courier-IMAP and our users can use [email protected] (just to let you know that it can be done).

I would also love to be able to use Courier. The arguments above seem convincing.

Problems:

Multiple (duplicate) folder listings:
INBOX
Drafts
Sent
Trash
INBOX.Drafts
INBOX.Sent
INBOX.Trash

That is because in your configuration you have the default folder listing to be INBOX.Drafts, INBOX.Sent etc. If you go and change that to Inbox, Drafts, Sent ect it will fix your problem.

what's the solution?

has anyone been successful in getting courier-imap working with directadmin? I am half way there, but would love guidance getting this up and running 100%.

It seems like i'm mostly stuck on the user authentication (exim receives mail, sorts and puts it into proper maildir formats, but i can't seem to log into courier using any users set up in directadmin). Any ideas?

Thanks,
Olivier

Hello,

The hard part is splitting up the 2 types of email users.

1) system accounts - uses /var/spool/mail/username and uses the system password for authentication.

2) virtual accounts - uses /var/spool/virtual/domain.com/user and uses /etc/virtual/domain.com/passwd for authentication.

That's the tough part and will most likely require some coding (although I havn't looked into it, so I'm really not positive)

John

thanks john. you answered my other post about having post-and pre- email_account custom scripts, which should be the final step in the process.

I now have up and running on my box:
DirectAdmin
CourierMail with userdb authentication
full IMAP support and POP3 through Courier (took out both vm-pop3d and uw-imap).
Spamassassin 2.62 (thanks. the built-in script worked well)

The only other thing that I would love (and this is a more general problem) is a good, web-based monitoring for exim.

If you're interested in how i set up courier, just let me know.
Ollie

If you want, you could post a basic "How-To" on the forum if it's dooable for most people. So, is exim running at all with courrier chugging away?

John

I'm still using exim for the smtp and it handles all the mail filtering and puts the mail in maildir format (exim supports this natively).

That way courier works only when there are IMAP or POP3 calls to fetch mail. (I actually didn't have courier working right away, but exim was receiving and sorting mail just fine. now they are both up).

I'll try to document it when I get the new release for the custom scripts (eta feb 5 i think). That will allow me to automate the process end-to-end.

Thanks.
olivier

Any update on documenting the procedure of using Courier for IMAP/POP?

If you can give me the basics then I would be happy to help document it. I have used Courier on numerous machines but never with DirectAdmin so I would just be looking for the particulars with how it affects DirectAdmin and Exim.

Thanks,
Brett

Last edited:
Anyone get this to work? Anyone that is also willing to share information.

Back