need help, can't change nameserver

Evanzgurl

Verified User
hey,
my friend has gotten me a domain and I also have access to the account. For the domain to go to my site, I need to change the nameservers. We've both tried but can't figure out how. We went to the help section but there weren't any check-boxes or anything like the image showed. I really need this domain set up quick so if anyone can tell me how to change the nameservers in my situation please do :) it would be even better if you could email me at [email protected]
thanks so much
-sam
http://avril.fan-wire.com

I'm not sure why you're writing here; this has nothing to do with DA, but rather with your domain registrar.

What's the domain?

(I've moved the thread to to Off-Topic Discussion, because it is, but we can probably still help you to some extent.)

Jeff

the domain is http://avrilhq.com but the thing is that I'm unable to change the nameservers to the ones my host uses so that it can direct to my site...sorry I'm kind of new to this

There's no record of avrilhq.com being registered:
Code:
$ whois avrilhq.com

Whois Server Version 1.3

Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
with many different competing registrars. Go to [url]http://www.internic.net[/url]
for detailed information.

No match for "AVRILHQ.COM".

>>> Last update of whois database: Fri, 19 Aug 2005 13:58:43 EDT <<<
Please check with your friend to find out where it's supposed to have been registered (with which registrar).

Then you'll have to contact the registrar to find out why it's not registered and to get it registered.

Once it's registered you can assign any nameservers you want.

Jeff

but when we login, it has a list of our domains, and avrilhq.com is one of them. I believe it is registered...if not, how do I register it? but thanks for all the help :)

You can add any domain you want in DirectAdmin wheter you own it or not, but it won't work.

You could even put microsoft.com, but that doesn't mean you own it.

In other words, just because your domain is showing up in DirectAdmin doesn't mean you registered it with a domain registrar.

Did you just make up the name and presume it would work?

The internet doesn't work that way; it can't work that way.

If you want to buy a domain you need to visit the site of a domain reseller.

If I were going to recommend one (you asked :rolleyes: ) of course I'd recommend my own here but there are cheaper ones; in fact there are some for less than half the price we charge.

I don't recommend companies such as GoDaddy, Dotster, Network Solutions, etc., because they all push their own hosting solutions.

Jeff

ok thanks, I'll check it out. I don't really know...this girl just said she could buy me a domain and she said she got it. But then I told her I needed the nameservers changed and she said she couldnt. I think she didn't know what she was doing since its and account that someone else gave to her and she's only 12 lol.

I don't even think she bought it. But you know how it says like "add a domain" i think that she thinks she's registering a domain...and all this time I thought I had a domain...:(

Then buy one :) ; I already told you about four companies that register domain names.

Jeff

gee...that sounds like a great idea lol. I would, right now but I have $0 in my paypal and I'm not allowed to use credit or anything....so I'm kind of stuck right now. That's why I totally jumped to the opportunity of getting one for free. I'm hoping to win a contest in one of my yahoo groups (the prize is money) so then I'll be able to pay for a domain

Back