what URL does one provide to see dir.content?

vic-r

what URL does one provide to see dir.content?
------------------------------------------------------------

I've made a dir. (let's call it "Sdir") under public_html in my domain, and populated it with some jpg pictures.
All with 755 permissions.

But when I try this url:
www.mydomain.com/Sdir - instead of my pictures list (directory listing) one gets:
----------------------------
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /betty/ on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
----------------------------

Do I provide wrong link or what???
PLEASE HELP!!!!

Hey,

You'll need a ".htaccess" file with

Options Indexes

in the file... It (the .htaccess file) should be placed in the directory you want to list.

If you put it in the public_html directory then it will allow listing in all directories, and that is most likely what you don't want.

David

htaccess - any tips or examples?

Thanks!
didn't knew about htaccess - alot of info found to reed now...

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2004-25,GGLD:en&q=htaccess

any tips or examples?
edited - at 18:22
A Few General Ideas
An htaccess file is a simple ASCII file, such as you would create through a text editor like NotePad or SimpleText. Many people seem to have some confusion over the naming convention for the file, so let me get that out of the way.

.htaccess is the file extension. It is not file.htaccess or somepage.htaccess, it is simply named .htaccess

In order to create the file, open up a text editor and save an empty page as .htaccess (or type in one character, as some editors will not let you save an empty page). Chances are that your editor will append its default file extension to the name (ex: for Notepad it would call the file .htaccess.txt). You need to remove the .txt (or other) file extension in order to get yourself htaccessing--yes, I know that isn't a word, but it sounds keen, don't it? You can do this by right clicking on the file and renaming it by removing anything that doesn't say .htaccess. You can also rename it via telnet or your ftp program, and you should be familiar enough with one of those so as not to need explaining.

htaccess files must be uploaded as ASCII mode, not BINARY. You may need to CHMOD the htaccess file to 644 or (RW-R--R--). This makes the file usable by the server, but prevents it from being read by a browser, which can seriously compromise your security. (For example, if you have password protected directories, if a browser can read the htaccess file, then they can get the location of the authentication file and then reverse engineer the list to get full access to any portion that you previously had protected. There are different ways to prevent this, one being to place all your authentication files above the root directory so that they are not www accessible, and the other is through an htaccess series of commands that prevents itself from being accessed by a browser, more on that later)

Most commands in htaccess are meant to be placed on one line only, so if you use (more - here:http://www.javascriptkit.com/howto/htaccess.shtml

Last edited:
Back