proftpd-1.3.0rc2 available?

tony1234

Verified User
It appears that proftpd-1.3.0rc2 is available from the directadmin site below. My nessus scan recommends upgrading.

http://files.directadmin.com/services/proftpd-1.3.0rc2-1.src.rpm

How do I update? I am using CentOS 4.1, and Directdmin. Yum does not show it as available, only the old version. The proftpd script is not like many others where you update the version number, plus the script mentions need two items, one a standalone one, and only one shows up in the directory above.

I saw some threads on rpm build, but don't understand if I have that or how to use it. (Still learning) Any help on how I can install this?

and what happened to the FreeBSD package? *sighs* and sends email to john.

tony1234 said:
It appears that proftpd-1.3.0rc2 is available from the directadmin site below. My nessus scan recommends upgrading.

http://files.directadmin.com/services/proftpd-1.3.0rc2-1.src.rpm

How do I update? I am using CentOS 4.1, and Directdmin. Yum does not show it as available, only the old version. The proftpd script is not like many others where you update the version number, plus the script mentions need two items, one a standalone one, and only one shows up in the directory above.
When using CentOS or any other RedHat based Distro, they use a specific version of the program and back ports patches to fix any vulerabilities. So, even if a new version comes out, you will only see a new rpm patch revision, but the version will remain the same. It does really confuse a lot of apps that track vulerabilites based on version number alone.

As far as proftpd, I know DA uses a modified conf and passwd file, other than that, I believe the binary is untouched. So, you should be able to update the binary, just leave the conf file, passwd file and the init file, and it should work just fine.

I tried to build the src.rpm with this example from a previous post.

code:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------rpm -Uvh http://files.directadmin.com/servic....2.10-1.src.rpm
cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
rpmbuild -bb --target=i686 proftpd.spec
cd ../RPMS/i686
rpm -Uvh proftpd-standalone-1.2.10-1.i686.rpm
rpm -Uvh proftpd-1.2.10-1.i686.rpm
restart proftpd service (see DA service monitor)

And I get this error:

Checking for unpackaged file(s): /usr/lib/rpm/check-files /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/proftpd-1.3.0rc2-root
error: Installed (but unpackaged) file(s) found:
/usr/share/doc/COPYING
/usr/share/doc/CREDITS
/usr/share/doc/ChangeLog
/usr/share/doc/NEWS

RPM build errors:
Installed (but unpackaged) file(s) found:
/usr/share/doc/COPYING
/usr/share/doc/CREDITS
/usr/share/doc/ChangeLog
/usr/share/doc/NEWS

Any thought on how to make this work?

Thanks,
Rmday

Try commenting or removing the line in the spec file that says:
Code:
install -m 644 COPYING CREDITS ChangeLog NEWS $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/%{_docdir}
and the line:
Code:
%doc COPYING CREDITS ChangeLog NEWS
They are not really needed to install them, and if you really want to read them, you will find them in the /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/proftpd-1.3.0rc2.tar.bz2 file, you can just extract the files and read them.

John told me he isnt doing one for BSD until the final is released, so we either have to compile ourselves or wait.

Back