Disk Quotas not enforced

damn

Verified User
I've noticed I have several users who have used more than their allowed disk quota.

Ie: user has used 189.3/100

DA sends out email notifications to the user & admin, but it doesn't stop the user from uploading more.

How come?

Hello,

DA does not suspend based on disk usage. If it did, the user would not be able to login to delete the overusage. Also, the system quotas are what stops the user from uploading more.

As for why he's so far past his limit, my guess is that quotas are not compiled into your kernel.

John

type mount and paste the output here please, or just look for the ", with quotas" which should be on the same partition as /home.

QUOTAS as John said needs to be in your kernel.

Thanks for your prompt repies. Understand about not suspending them on disk overusage, but they must be able to continue uploading to get that far past quota.

Mount results:
/dev/ad0s1a on / (ufs, local, with quotas, soft-updates)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local)
procfs on /proc (procfs, local)
/dev/ad0s1d on /tmp (ufs, local, nodev, noexec, nosuid, soft-updates)
/dev/ad0s1e on /usr (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/ad0s1f on /var (ufs, local, soft-updates)
/dev/ad0s1g on /home (ufs, local, with quotas, soft-updates)

Quotas are on for /home - could it still not be complied into the kernel, or would mount not allow you to mount the drives with quota if its not compiled in?

Hello,

1) Go through this guide: http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=42

2) It's possible that they have a high mysql usage, or non-username usage that doesn't fall under the system quotas, hence it grows, but the system quotas have no control.

So check the system quota usage for the user on /home. If it's below his usage, then likely 2) is the case.

John

In the CMD_ALL_USER_SHOW screen in DA, it reports that this particular user is using 189.7/100

The /usr/sbin/repquota /home view gives:

Code:
                                Block  limits                    File  limits
User                   used     soft     hard  grace     used    soft    hard  grace

xxxxxxxxx       --    51025   102400   102400      -     1743       0       0      -
[/quote]

I've found where it is though, its email usage.  I thought that email usage came under disk usage as well?

This user has used 139.9MB under email, ~45MB disk space, total disk space allowed under this plan is 100MB

Last edited:
System quotas are only enforced on the disk that holds the user files. In your case /home would be it. The email files on /var/spool aren't on the same partition as /home, thus are not enforced.

John

Back