Problem installing Frontpage extensions

digilexic

Verified User
I get the following error when trying to install frontpage extensions on my site:

Error executing your request

Details
Error setting up your web: Starting install, port: 80.

Hello,

Normally that means there is a:

services.cnf

file located in a "_vti_pvt" directory somewhere under the public_html directory. Our next release will search and destroy these files, but until then, just make sure it doesn't exist, then try again.

John

Okay I did that, and the install finished, but I can't publish using my username/password, it says that I have an incorrect password.

I am using the same username/password for the account to open a website and getting the same error, it wont take my username/password

Hello,

Check that
/home/username/domains/domain.com/public_html/_vti_pvt/service.pwd
has the username you are using. The characters to the right are the encrypted password that frontpage uses. Perhaps try resinstalling the extensions, double check your password.... if you've recently done a domain transfer, make *sure* that it's actually resolving to the new server or else you'll be connecting to the old one (which could easily cause confusion).

John

Okay, I checked the services.pwd file and it has my username in there right. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the fp extesions and get the same error

I also notices there are htaccess files in all the directories...I though frontpage didnt use htaccess?

*added* Plus when I try to login now to the website after 3 tries it says the file is not available or has a / | in it?

I know its resolving to the new server, because I get the same error if I try to connect via the IP address...I am thinking abot deleting the account and starting over, since I installe FP extesions AFTER I copied over the site, but I have some directoruies with 20,000 files in them that took me FOREVER to move the first time.

I would be happy to let someone look at the site through SSH if they think they can fix it.

Last edited:
Hello,

Frontpage uses .htaccess files quite heavily actually.

If DA says the extensions are installed... then I'm not sure why you are getting that error. I'd have to have a look myself.. if you could provide ip/user/pass and root pass if you have it to [email protected] I could give it a go.

John

if you want to start all over but are worried about the 20.000 files then you can tar/untar them.

tar -cvf <file.tar> <files or directories>

Figured it out (I think)

WHenever I clicked enable frontpage, the server would timeout, but if I clicked on frontpage again it would say enabled...

so I assumed t was enabled. It still would'nt work so then I would click disable. It wouldn't time out on disable and would come back and say the uninstall was done.

when I tried to enable again after disabling, it would timeout...so instead of disabling it first I clicked enable a second time without disabling it again, and this time I didn't get a timeout, and it works...I hope this helps other people!

The reason I never clicked enable twice was because when I moved the site it had all the _directories and _files, so it wouldn't install until I deleted them. So I assumed I would get the ame error that started this whole mess if I tried to enable a site that was already enabled...silly me!

Hello,

Good to hear.. it shouldn't timeout.. but in any case, DA 1.2 searches out and destroys the files that cause frontpage to give up on installs... namely "_vti_pvt/services.cnf".

John

Possibly the timeout was due to the fact I have tens of thousands of files (its a message board) in each directory? On all my other sites it installed almost imediately.

Ah, yes that would explain it :) I'll increase the timeout and maybe try to optimize the "search and destroy".

John

I think my situation is pretty close.

Im getting the following:

404 Not Found
Not Found The requested URL /_vti_bin/shtml.exe/_vti_rpc was not found on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
Apache/1.3.29 Server at 69.56.172.161 Port 80

I have enable and disapled fp extensions...still no luck

any ideas?

Thanks

Back