Mandrake and Fedora support?

interfasys

Verified User
Since the Red Hat line will die at the end of April 2004, I don't feel safe using it.

Will you support Fedora any time soon?
What about Mandrake? That distro has a fine auto update feature called urpmi.

Mandrake's a desktop distro really. And I think Fedora is just gonna act as RH's testing ground for their enterprise products... so any Fedora releases will make us guinea pigs :D

I'd like to see the FreeBSD port released and then maybe a Debian or Slackware DA... go for stability :)

Matt

DA only currently supports Redhat, and in beta stages for BSD, apart from that im taking a guess that there are no plans for Mandrake or fedora (never even looked at fedora! :D ) i would say that its safe for DA to focus on RH, and BSD at the moment with them 2 being the most widely used in the hosting industry. The only other i would think DA may be considering is debian.

Chris

Last edited:
It'll work for RH, only RH will no longer be updated by RedHat Inc.

So after a year or so, RH will become outdated.

Matt

I was worried about not getting patches like security fixes, but by rereading all the articles, I saw that The fedora Project and probably others will keep making'em.
I feel better =)

After just looking around for redhat certification and training in the UK i found some information at the same time, As mentioned previously. RedHat is definitely trying to move on to the 'making money' scene, leaving the open source versions to the 'developing community' Its also quite clear they you want you to move to the enterpise versions:

Update lifetime:
Enterprise ($179+) - 5 years
Fedora (Open source - $0) - 2 - 3 months

From the looks of things, they wont even be offering boxed versions of Fedora, and support will never be seen by the fedora users.

Im willing to pay $179 for a reliable Operating system both remotely and from desktop, aslong as its ok for quite a while - 5 years will do me perfect. Infact, i think it would work out cheaper to pay $179 for 5 years of software than the current $40 for 10 months?

My last quick look while typing this message:

Primary developers:
Enterprise: Red Hat
Fedora: Developer community, with contributions from Red Hat

even more evidence they are walking away from the open source community :rolleyes:

Will DirectAdmin go straight on top of a fresh enterprise setup?

I have something against paying a lot for linux, I've ordered several update entitlements for RH but $179 X 50 = no way man.

My kneejerk reaction would be to say go with Suse or maybe Fedora since it will still have RH input. Maybe FreeBSD is the real best way to go.

I refuse to pay for Linux since it has been developed by kind-hearted developers who never intended it to be sold by RedHat. I think it's atrocious; seems like blatant exploitation to me by RedHat. I'll be avoiding their software from now on.

I'd rather use FreeBSD or similar and then make a donation to them :)

Matt

Isn't it possible to port DA to Debian ?
(Not that i have Debian experience)
But in Debian there is apt-get for upgrades/patches, or isn't it possible for DA to make an apt repository and a patched apt version so that we can use that.
There already is an apt-get version for Redhat RPMS, at the time i'm using it on one of our dev servers on intranet.

FreeBSD also sounds interesting, but i don't want to go to something new, my RH 8.0 server is running perfectly, i'd like to keep it that way ;)
If something goes wrong i know where to look and how to do something about it, if something should go wrong with FreeBSD, when i would run it, i wouldn't know how to do something about it.

Icheb said:
my RH server is running perfectly, i'd like to keep it that way ;)
If something goes wrong i know where to look and how to do something about it, if something should go wrong with FreeBSD, when i would run it, i wouldn't know how to do something about it.

Exactly my reasoning to pay for RH :D

Icheb said:
Isn't it possible to port DA to Debian ?
(Not that i have Debian experience)
But in Debian there is apt-get for upgrades/patches, or isn't it possible for DA to make an apt repository and a patched apt version so that we can use that.
There already is an apt-get version for Redhat RPMS, at the time i'm using it on one of our dev servers on intranet.

FreeBSD also sounds interesting, but i don't want to go to something new, my RH 8.0 server is running perfectly, i'd like to keep it that way ;)

Really a port to Debian would be quite easy since the biggest differnce is the file structure..

Linux is pretty much linux.. There are a few differnces but when porting to other Linux distros it should be fairly easy..

Fedora support shouldn't be to hard since its supposed to be RH based...

I think fedora is basically the RH we know now, just made worse to force the people who rely on RH to pay extra - eg the updates lifespam - its been dropping consideraby since 7 - 9 lasted around 1 year now its 2/3 months before your upgrading to a new OS with fedora..... enterprise takes a nice leap to 5 years. There could be no other reason for that apart from the fact that industies (especially web hosting) would suffer unless they paid the price. A simple way to get paying customers, as we have seen from this thread a few have sauid they dont like the sound of a move to another OS. compatibility would be the firdt bad thing. Does DirectAdmin work on any other OS apart from RH and (beta) in FreeBSD? if not that leaves all that are here the following options:

1) Pay $180 minimum for enterprise
2) Switch to FreeBSD (only other supported OS by DA?)
3) Change control panel again for something that works with another OS? (debian etc)
4) Wait for DA to support more OS
5) use fedora and update your OS everything 2 months.
6) Stick with a current copy of RH

Not very nice options :(

Back