Backup to FTP location and scheduling

finder

I would like to request two features:

1. Backup to FTP location
2. Easy scheduling of backups

This makes it easier for users to manage their own backups.
We provide a server in our network with room for them to ftp their backups to.

Noted. We'll probably do this at the user and admin levels, and if anyone has any specific suggestions on how this feature should work, now is a good time to post.

Mark

What about reseller level ?
It would be great if a reseller can backup all his users at one click.

DirectAdmin Sales said:
Noted. We'll probably do this at the user and admin levels, and if anyone has any specific suggestions on how this feature should work, now is a good time to post.

Mark
I would recommend at minimum it be placed in Admin and Reseller levels.

Users already have the ability to do a manual backup from their level and I don't see (most) users to needing more than that.

But, then again, having it at all levels would eliminate any end user complaints.

Probably safest to do that?

I think scheduling should be on every level but especially on admin and user level.
When users can schedule there own backups they can bear responsibility for them as well. Takes a lot out of our hands.

I for one would give every user, reseller and admin an ftp-account on a central backup server making them responsible for there own stuff, without fear of hardware failure.

finder said:

I for one would give every user, reseller and admin an ftp-account on a central backup server making them responsible for there own stuff, without fear of hardware failure.

Could it also be built into DA where it looks just like the file manager to endusers but its actually connecting to a remote machine (ftp, or whatever else)?

Hello,

When I make this backup feature, I'll make sure it has *all* the bells and whistles (famous last words :D)

Admin server backup
Resller's Users backup
User backup (already exists) - might change it so a User can do backup, get a fresh account on a different server, and everything will be setup the same without having to create anything.

They'll all be script based so you can change them to suite your needs.

I'll also have it settable to do the specified backup as often as you want.

If I get time, I'll see about having it do an ftp upload to an ftp site of your chosing (you would specify ip, username, pass, and path.)

These backups would also tie into User transfers.

I'll make sure it's good :) Even if it isn't all done at once, I'll try to do it over time... but I'll try for all at once :D

John

I asked for this a little while ago in another post. I really think this would be on the best new features to add!

I would love to see the ability to backup but is their a way so that we would could get a tar.gz for each site. So if you compressed each site to a one large file and FTP'ed that? This way if one user is having a problem we can restore just their site or parts of the site?

It would also be great to have a one folder to exclude from backup's on each users site.

The last change I would love to see is, (correct me if I am wrong) but lets say a box with DA died because of the HD and we don't have a RAID. You install a new OS on a new drive and you want to use the backup. If the users are not recreated like they were before it will not import the data. I would like to be a admin or reseller and import all the sites and have it recreate all the users and stats without creating all the users first? I have had problems with this in the past...

DirectAdmin Support said:
If I get time, I'll see about having it do an ftp upload to an ftp site of your chosing (you would specify ip, username, pass, and path.)

Please get the time, I'm sure this would be a very strong feature;-)

DirectAdmin Support said:
Hello,

When I make this backup feature, I'll make sure it has *all* the bells and whistles (famous last words :D)

Admin server backup
Resller's Users backup
User backup (already exists) - might change it so a User can do backup, get a fresh account on a different server, and everything will be setup the same without having to create anything.

They'll all be script based so you can change them to suite your needs.

I'll also have it settable to do the specified backup as often as you want.

These backups would also tie into User transfers.

I'll make sure it's good :) Even if it isn't all done at once, I'll try to do it over time... but I'll try for all at once :D

John

great idee. :)

perhaps it is possible that the backup is move by
scp too ?

i know that i must create for it an authorized_key,
but i think that a good choice too.

Some of us may have seen this before but this is a good start.

raqbackup

Raqbackup is a shell script to dump all the data (email, web, mysql, etc) for all the sites so that Coblat RaQ's have a backup solution. The shell script could easily be adapted for almost any system but it just happens that they used it with the CMU to export the sites data.

Just thought it would be helpful as a example...

What about of some bandwidth saving, maybe is rsync a good solution because lot's of the website's will be the same for a long time.

We wanted to create a script for that but maybe DA can
implement it into an new version?

Greetings

Back