DirectAdmin v1.645 RC

Hi @fln , did you update CB because its failing again ....

Updating cURL
Removing file: /usr/local/share/man/man1/curl-config.1...
Removing file: /usr/local/share/man/man1/curl.1...
Removing file: /usr/local/bin/curl...
Removing file: /usr/local/bin/curl-config...
Removing directory: /usr/local/include/curl...
Removing file: /usr/local/share/aclocal/libcurl.m4...
Rebuilding PHP to make sure it does not depend on compiled version of cURL
./build: line 1206: /usr/local/bin/curl: No such file or directory
Download of https://files.directadmin.com/services/custombuild/php-7.4.33.tar.gz failed, re-downloading the file...
Download of https://files.directadmin.com/services/custombuild/php-7.4.33.tar.gz failed, re-downloading the file...
Download of https://files.directadmin.com/services/custombuild/php-7.4.33.tar.gz failed 4 times, exiting...

I can download that php file using wget command so there is no really an connection issue...

Curl fails to change from built one to OS package, just had this happen on Debian 11, just did a 'apt install curl' and re ran the update and it continued just fine.

@Active8, sorry my timing for a reply was not great. We had the fix for command cache cleanup in our development environment but it is pushed out to alpha and beta release channels just today. Replying to you message made it look like the fix is already public, sorry. Could you please try again, the build 93524f66a7f5979948c00495c036bff1ef14d562 should have a fix to clear command cache.

@cjd you are referring to another issue that got fixed with 93524f66a7f5979948c00495c036bff1ef14d562 as well. This is curl existence on Debian based systems. We expected distro version of curl will always be present on any modern system:
  • We install it during DA install
  • On RHEL based systems curl is installed because package managers depend on it
However on Debian systems it was possible to have a modern system without curl from the distro packages. Hunting for the issue @Active8 reported we stumbled on it, and added an explicit curl installation code in case there was not system curl.

Both changes are in 93524f66a7f5979948c00495c036bff1ef14d562 build (both alpha and beta channels) which got released today.

Thanks everyone.

I can confirm now that the upgrade goes smooth to 1.645 but its still pity that we have old cURL (7.61.1)

Nope, update reverses your cURL to 7.61.1 , we have to wait till its fixed!!

Last edited:
but its still pity that we have old cURL (7.61.1)
I did a yum update the day before yesterday on the Almalinux 8.7 (was 8.6 but 8.7 after the update) and we have curl 7.85.
I thought you also had Alma 8.7 fully updated as stated before?

Doublecheck, we also have curl 7.85 on both Centos 7 servers.

Doublecheck, we also have curl 7.85 on both Centos 7 servers.
Yes you are right !, other AL 8.7 en CentOS servers have 7.85 but this one is stucked at 7.61.1 ?
Maybe this has to do with this update ? because dnf update does not show any update ?

EDIT: Nailed it @DirectAdmin Support @fln
When doing the upgrade to DA 1.645 CB reversed it to cURL 7.61.1. !!

I have installed the backup before the upgrade to 1.645 and now cURL 1.85 is back !

curl -V
curl 7.85.0 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu) libcurl/7.85.0 OpenSSL/1.1.1k-fips zlib/1.2.11 zstd/1.5.1 nghttp2/1.33.0
Release-Date: 2022-08-31
Protocols: dict file ftp ftps gopher gophers http https imap imaps mqtt pop3 pop3s rtsp smb smbs smtp smtps telnet tftp
Features: alt-svc AsynchDNS HSTS HTTP2 HTTPS-proxy IPv6 Largefile libz NTLM NTLM_WB SSL threadsafe TLS-SRP UnixSockets zstd

Last edited:
When doing the upgrade to DA 1.645 CB reversed it to cURL 7.61.1. !!
Did you still have the Curl version of Custombuild active in options.conf then? Because as far as I know DA now uses the curl version of the os?

Edit: Hmmz.. oeps.. I just see I also have that set to yes on all custombuild versions, also Almalinux. Should that be set to no?

Hmmz2... I'm just checking the OS yum version of Alma linux 8.7 and then I see this:
Code:
curl.x86_64                                                  7.61.1-25.el8                                                    @baseos
Does this mean Alma has an older version present? So we should -not- use the curl OS version? This is odd.
But that explains as to why DA put it back to 7.61.1 since DA uses the OS version nowadays, correct?
In Centos 7 that would even be curl 7.29 so now I'm totally confused.

@Richard G I asssume that is the reason.
When cURL is controlled by CB you have 7.85 otherwise its 7.61.1
Lets wait for DA support what they have to say

Yes, switching to distro version if curl, at the time of writing you will have:
  • Curl 7.86.0 on Debian 12
  • Curl 7.76.1 on Rockylinux/Almalinux 9
  • Curl 7.74.0 on Debian 11
  • Curl 7.64.0 on Debian 10
  • Curl 7.61.1 on Almalinux/Rockylinux 8
  • Curl 7.29.0 on CentOS 7

Hi @fln
That's what we excepted , this means we have some kind of downgrade as I explained here ?
Why cant we just keep the CB version ? and remove it from this update ?

DA does not depend on any modern curl features, so we are OK with any curl version provided by the distros (supported by DA). So there is no substantial benefit in building separate version of curl.

This also serves as a slight nudge to keep using modern systems instead of relying on DA to backport modern software on old systems.

This also serves as a slight nudge to keep using modern systems instead of relying on DA to backport modern software on old systems.

This way might we get DirectAdmin installing all supported software from rpm/deb packages soon. A new era of custom scripts and integration is opening now again)))

@zEitEr replacing CB manged software with distro managed software is not our end goal. Software tends to be added to CB when distros have too old versions and there is a general benefit for DirectAdmin users to get newer version. Since curl is pretty stable tool even older versions gives us all the common features we need.

For example we use tar from the system repos. On RHEL 8 systems it is tar 1.30, on RHEL 9 systems it is tar 1.34. Following the same logic shouldn't CB provide a latest tar version for everyone? Well it could :) but we see no actual benefit in that. Older tar does the job just as well as newer one.

Same is with curl. It is becoming ubiquitous and stable like other tools we all used to. There are still new versions and slight changes in the latest releases but nothing major.

On the opposite site there is software like PHP or MySQL/MariaDB. It is a huge benefit for DirectAdmin to offer latest versions, since PHP hosting is key service that DirectAdmin provides. Trying to use PHP provided with distro would not be a good idea.

@Active8 existing CB plugin will be left untouched. Evolution detects CB plugin and hides it from plugin list (in menu), and it always shows its native CB page (in menu). On the plugin manager page you can still see CB plugin. On Enhanced CB plugin is still available.
custombuild should be part of directadmin by default and don't make it as a plugin so we can use CLI for it:

Code:
eg: da set-config php1_version=8.0

eg2: da build roundcube

eg3: da build phpmyadmin

we don't need to manage the separate options.conf file from custombuild, just put everything in directadmin.conf.

Hi,
Today after upgrade to newest DA 1.645 where I have AlmaLinux 9.1 we upgraded ClamAV to "OS" version and now we have (only on Alma Linux 9.1, on CentOS 7.x and AlmaLinux 8.x it's fine)

The service 'clamav-freshclam' on server XXX is currently down​

Service clamav-freshclam status give that:

Nov 23 18:41:32 xxx systemd[1]: Started ClamAV virus database updater.
Nov 23 18:41:32 xxx freshclam[122276]: /usr/bin/freshclam: /usr/local/lib64/libclamav.so.9: no version information available (required by /usr/bin/freshclam)
Nov 23 18:41:32 xxx freshclam[122276]: /usr/bin/freshclam: /usr/local/lib64/libclamav.so.9: no version information available (required by /usr/bin/freshclam)
Nov 23 18:41:32 xxx freshclam[122276]: /usr/bin/freshclam: /usr/local/lib64/libfreshclam.so.2: no version information available (required by /usr/bin/freshclam)
Nov 23 18:41:32 xxx freshclam[122276]: /usr/bin/freshclam: /usr/local/lib64/libfreshclam.so.2: no version information available (required by /usr/bin/freshclam)
Nov 23 18:41:32 xxx freshclam[122276]: /usr/bin/freshclam: symbol lookup error: /usr/bin/freshclam: undefined symbol: sendln, version FRESHCLAM_PRIVATE
Nov 23 18:41:32 xxx systemd[1]: clamav-freshclam.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=127/n/a
Nov 23 18:41:32 xxx systemd[1]: clamav-freshclam.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

Last edited:
Hi,
Today after upgrade to newest DA 1.645 where I have AlmaLinux 9.1 we upgraded ClamAV to "OS" version and now we have (only on Alma Linux 9.1, on CentOS 7.x and AlmaLinux 8.x it's fine)

Service clamav-freshclam status give that:
same error (Almalinux 8.7)
Code:
grep: /etc/freshclam.conf: No such file or directory
Enabling clamd in systemd...
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/[email protected] -> /usr/lib/systemd/system/[email protected].
Failed to enable unit: Unit file clamav-freshclam.service does not exist.
Restarting freshclam.
Failed to restart clamav-freshclam.service: Unit clamav-freshclam.service not found.
Restarting clamd.

Back