[solved] Backups via FTP. How does it use local storage when backups are done?

wdc

Verified User
Hello,

when i am having DA reseller account and select daily backups to the FTP (not local), i want to ask how the disk space is utilized during the backups.

I mean does it work the way that
A) it is not using any additional space of the reseller account
B) it is using only the additional space of the currently backed up directadmin account (i need to have free space worth the biggest account - archived)
C) the worst case - it backup everything into my direct admin reseller account and cause out of space fail and then would attempt to move via FTP

Hello,

DirectAdmin does not add anything to your disk usage if backups are stored remotely.

Thanks, but i do not think that the FTP supports placing archives directly into it as a tar command output (if directadmin using tar).
I would rather think the account backup archive have to be completed locally and then moved to remote FTP server. So my above mentioned questions remains.
I need to know how much disk space i need. If backups defined to be via FTP does not cause any out of disk space issue even my reseller account has 95% disk space used, or i need to know how much disk space i require to add.

The way how DirectAdmin deals quotas during creating backups have been shortly mentioned in my post answered to yours earlier (in the post that you did not like it). Sorry, not going to re-post it ;)

Temporary files including a ready *.tar.gz file (while waiting for transmitting over network) are located under /home/tmp/.

Temporary files including a ready *.tar.gz file (while waiting for transmitting over network) are located under /home/tmp/.

so the backups which are set to FTP are temporarily saved locally, but not counted toward reseller account disk space quota. It is good news for reseller. Thank you

Back