debian 10 alpha testing

Sorry for the double post.

I tried again, but now with manual instead of auto setup. After a few steps I get this:

Code:
>> DirectAdmin will now be installed on: debian 9.0
>> Is this correct? (must match license) (y,n) : n
>> Please change the value in your license, or install the correct operating system

I checked with my hoster and they say they set my license to Debian 10 BETA. Is it correct Directadmin will still assume you're on Debian 9?
It did say something like "It looks like you're installing on Debian 10, which is not yet supported" in the beginning, so it knows I'm on Debian 10.

Last edited:
Hello,

I'm using DirectAdmin with Debian 10 and everything seems to be OK, I didn't get any problems until now and setup 2 domain name

I would like to get some feedback, everybody is in the same case ?

Which sort of problems can happen ?

There is one high risk to get problems if I use DA with Debian 10 ?

Somebody get problems and advice me to get back to Debian 9 ?

Thanks for your opinions.

Installation keeps failing on my end, with a reference to this help page: https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=267

Code:
./directadmin: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.28' not found (required by ./directadmin)
./directadmin: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.28' not found (required by ./directadmin)
Can't open /usr/local/directadmin/data/admin/services.status: File or folder doesn't exist.

* Cannot find /usr/local/directadmin/conf/directadmin.conf
* Please see this guide:
* http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=267

As stated before my hoster says it switched my license to Debian 10 BETA, but the installer says 9 when i start. The OS is Ubuntu 18.04:

Code:
>> Is this correct? (must match license) (y,n) : n
>> Please change the value in your license, or install the correct operating system

Entering 'n' stops the setup, 'y' works until the end when it throws the error I copied above.

I haven't had confirmation from Directadmin that it's correct the installer will say Debian 9 when on Debian 10?

Last edited:
Hello,

Try:
Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
./build update
./build icu
./build php n
and see how that goes..

For DA itself, login to your /clients area to double check it's set to Debian 10.
If the ./directadmin o output shows Debian 9, then confirm the license is set to Debian 10.
Once confirmed, re-download the binaries:
https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=29

Note if you have any issues with the binaries, we now have a generic "Linux 64-bit static" binaries, which should work on all 64-bit Linux.

John

As stated before my hoster says it switched my license to Debian 10 BETA

Your hoster says...but have you checked yourself to be 100% sure with

Code:
# lsb_release -d

which return
Code:
Description:    Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)

If you have Debian 10 installed and checked in your clients area to be sure to set to Debian 10 it should works...

Hello,
For DA itself, login to your /clients area to double check it's set to Debian 10.
If the ./directadmin o output shows Debian 9, then confirm the license is set to Debian 10.
Once confirmed, re-download the binaries:
https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=29

Note if you have any issues with the binaries, we now have a generic "Linux 64-bit static" binaries, which should work on all 64-bit Linux.

John

Thank you very much for your time and help John. I wiped my server and installed Ubuntu 18.04 LTS again.
Here is what happend afterwards step by step, maybe it can help with debugging and finalizing support for Debian 10:

- Confirmed with my hosting provider again they set my license to Debian 10 BETA;
- Installed pre-install binaries for Debian 10;
- Run setup.sh (without auto);
- It started with a comment something like "it looks like you are running Debian 10", so that's correct;
- Then this question popped up, where I answered y to be able proceed with the installation:

Code:
>> Is this correct? (must match license) (y,n) : y

- Then the installation took a while and seemed to do fine;
- Just like last time, it ends with these errors and nothing really works. There's no admin password created either:

Code:
*   All parts have been installed   *

Type: systemctl restart nginx.service
Can't open /usr/local/directadmin/data/admin/services.status: File or folder does not exist.

System Security Tips:
  http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=247

* Cannot find /usr/local/directadmin/conf/directadmin.conf
* Please see this guide:
* http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=267

- So then I did as you said in your post and followed https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=29;
- I saw Debian 10 in the downloaded file's name, so that confirms the license is set correctly I would think;
- The fourth step throws an error for me, which is the same as before:

Code:
>> ./directadmin p
>> ./directadmin: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.28' not found (required by ./directadmin)

- I went ahaid anyway to see what would happen. But as it turns out, it's a dead end:

Code:
>> ./update.sh
>> /usr/local/directadmin/directadmin: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.28' not found (required by /usr/local/directadmin/directadmin)

- So.... what to do now? Try the new binaries you talked about? I don't see them mentioned on the pre-instal requirements page;
- I could try and find and install GLIBC_2.28 by hand, but I don't know if that will break things in the future?

Last edited:
I've issue installing proftpd, when building in the end gives two errors.

Code:
Installing proftpd-1.3.6b...
cd lib/ && make lib
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/proftpd-1.3.6b/lib'
cd libltdl/ && make
make[2]: Entering directory '/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/proftpd-1.3.6b/lib/libltdl'
make  all-am
make[3]: Entering directory '/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/proftpd-1.3.6b/lib/libltdl'
make[3]: Leaving directory '/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/proftpd-1.3.6b/lib/libltdl'
make[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/proftpd-1.3.6b/lib/libltdl'
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/proftpd-1.3.6b/lib'
cd src/ && make src
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/proftpd-1.3.6b/src'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for 'src'.
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/proftpd-1.3.6b/src'
cd modules/ && make static
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/proftpd-1.3.6b/modules'
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/proftpd-1.3.6b/modules'
test -z """" -a -z """" || (cd modules/ && make shared)
test -z "1" || (cd locale/ && make locale)
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/proftpd-1.3.6b/locale'
if [ ! -f bg_BG.po ]; then \
        msginit --no-translator -i proftpd.pot -o bg_BG.po -l bg_BG; \
fi
if [ -f bg_BG.po -a ! -f bg_BG.mo ]; then \
         msgfmt -o bg_BG.mo bg_BG.po; \
fi
/bin/sh: line 1: msgfmt: command not found
make[1]: [Makefile:78: bg_BG] Error 127 (ignored)
if [ ! -f en_US.po ]; then \
        msginit --no-translator -i proftpd.pot -o en_US.po -l en_US; \
fi
if [ -f en_US.po -a ! -f en_US.mo ]; then \
         msgfmt -o en_US.mo en_US.po; \
fi
make[1]: [Makefile:78: en_US] Error 127 (ignored)
if [ ! -f es_ES.po ]; then \
        msginit --no-translator -i proftpd.pot -o es_ES.po -l es_ES; \
fi
if [ -f es_ES.po -a ! -f es_ES.mo ]; then \
         msgfmt -o es_ES.mo es_ES.po; \
fi
make[1]: [Makefile:78: es_ES] Error 127 (ignored)
if [ ! -f fr_FR.po ]; then \
        msginit --no-translator -i proftpd.pot -o fr_FR.po -l fr_FR; \
fi
if [ -f fr_FR.po -a ! -f fr_FR.mo ]; then \
         msgfmt -o fr_FR.mo fr_FR.po; \
fi
make[1]: [Makefile:78: fr_FR] Error 127 (ignored)
if [ ! -f it_IT.po ]; then \
        msginit --no-translator -i proftpd.pot -o it_IT.po -l it_IT; \
fi
if [ -f it_IT.po -a ! -f it_IT.mo ]; then \
         msgfmt -o it_IT.mo it_IT.po; \
fi
make[1]: [Makefile:78: it_IT] Error 127 (ignored)
if [ ! -f ja_JP.po ]; then \
        msginit --no-translator -i proftpd.pot -o ja_JP.po -l ja_JP; \
fi
if [ -f ja_JP.po -a ! -f ja_JP.mo ]; then \
         msgfmt -o ja_JP.mo ja_JP.po; \
fi
make[1]: [Makefile:78: ja_JP] Error 127 (ignored)
if [ ! -f ko_KR.po ]; then \
        msginit --no-translator -i proftpd.pot -o ko_KR.po -l ko_KR; \
fi
if [ -f ko_KR.po -a ! -f ko_KR.mo ]; then \
         msgfmt -o ko_KR.mo ko_KR.po; \
fi
make[1]: [Makefile:78: ko_KR] Error 127 (ignored)
if [ ! -f ru_RU.po ]; then \
        msginit --no-translator -i proftpd.pot -o ru_RU.po -l ru_RU; \
fi
if [ -f ru_RU.po -a ! -f ru_RU.mo ]; then \
         msgfmt -o ru_RU.mo ru_RU.po; \
fi
make[1]: [Makefile:78: ru_RU] Error 127 (ignored)
if [ ! -f zh_CN.po ]; then \
        msginit --no-translator -i proftpd.pot -o zh_CN.po -l zh_CN; \
fi
if [ -f zh_CN.po -a ! -f zh_CN.mo ]; then \
         msgfmt -o zh_CN.mo zh_CN.po; \
fi
make[1]: [Makefile:78: zh_CN] Error 127 (ignored)
if [ ! -f zh_TW.po ]; then \
        msginit --no-translator -i proftpd.pot -o zh_TW.po -l zh_TW; \
fi
if [ -f zh_TW.po -a ! -f zh_TW.mo ]; then \
         msgfmt -o zh_TW.mo zh_TW.po; \
fi
make[1]: [Makefile:78: zh_TW] Error 127 (ignored)

Code:
cd utils/ && make utils
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/proftpd-1.3.6b/utils'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for 'utils'.
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/local/directadmin/custombuild/proftpd-1.3.6b/utils'
/usr/bin/install -c  -o ftp -g ftp -m 0755 proftpd /usr/sbin/proftpd
/usr/bin/install: invalid user 'ftp'
make: *** [Makefile:113: install-proftpd] Error 1
Enabling proftpd in systemd...
Done proftpd.
Restarting ProFTPd.
Job for proftpd.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status proftpd.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

First error is because is not installed gettext if this package is required why is not in pre-install packages?

Secound error, not installed because not exist ftp user/group.

Clean minimal install.

Just set your license to "Linux 64-bit", then you could check "download pre-release binaries" button or just use https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=29 to update the binaries.

Thanks! I did this and it kind of worked. Directadmin installed completely, but there are a few bugs.

First of all:

- DirectAdmin doesn't start after a reboot. The following error is shown when requesting service status:

Code:
systemd[1]: Starting DirectAdmin Web Control Panel...
systemd[1]: directadmin.service: Can't open PID file /run/directadmin.pid (yet?) after start: No such file or directory
systemd[1]: Started DirectAdmin Web Control Panel.
systemd[1]: directadmin.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=9/n/a
systemd[1]: directadmin.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

- Weird thing is it will start perfectly fine when I do 'service directadmin start'. Anybody has thoughts about this?

Then, PHP is still broken with the following error:

Code:
systemd[1]: Starting The PHP FastCGI Process Manager...
php-fpm73[1659]: /usr/local/php73/sbin/php-fpm73: error while loading shared libraries: libicudata.so.64: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
systemd[1]: php-fpm73.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=127/n/a
systemd[1]: php-fpm73.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
systemd[1]: Failed to start The PHP FastCGI Process Manager.

I tried John's suggestion:

Hello,

Try:
Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
./build update
./build icu
./build php n
and see how that goes..

But unfortunately, the problem stays the same after that. Any thoughts anybody?

Thanks in advance, almost there...

I think ICU thing is Ubuntu specific. I'd suggest creating a ticket on this, or taking intl/icu out of configure.php73 file.

How are we on debian 10 & DA now? Is it safe to go live in production? I would like to wipe my server running an older version of debian + DA after doing backup, then reinstall from scratch + import back-up to have an updated DA + Debian 10 environment again.

Last edited:
The subject of this thread is : debian 10 alpha testing

Of course we note already that you've got problems (@ZipperZapper and @Kurogane) with Debian 10 and DA, but to get a solution of your problems, it would be better to open a new thread for your specific case.
Please give us here the link of your specific case and we follow it...

@admin what do you think ? maybe it's time to open "debian 10" now the last release of Debian is 10.1 (The last update to this release was made on September 7th, 2019) and we are now on november 2019 ;-)
it would help to open new forum for Debian 10....

Last edited:
How are we on debian 10 & DA now? Is it safe to go live in production? I would like to wipe my server running an older version of debian + DA after doing backup, then reinstall from scratch + import back-up to have an updated DA + Debian 10 environment again.

Thanks, that's exactly we need to know...

Is it safe to go live in production with Debian 10 and DA ?

Thanks, that's exactly we need to know...

Is it safe to go live in production with Debian 10 and DA ?

John already answered this perfectly on the previous page...

It's been BETA for a while, and we're just looking for any last bits before labeling it stable.
We don't currently know of any specific issues with it, so you might be fine to just start using it (take that with a grain of salt).

John

That doesn't sound very assuring though as we are talking production environments here :)

Especially the words "might be fine" and "take that with a grain of salt".

Curious to know when the last bits have been resolved and if there any other users that tested / have run into issues. Indeed a separate forum for debian 10 would help here to provide extra attention and see if there are more people using/testing it.

It was on 10 may 2019, 6 month ago :p

There is maybe some changes since 6 months, or there is some new users of Debian 10 with more feedback...
Or maybe John got time to work on Debian 10..

It was on 10 may 2019, 6 month ago :p

There is maybe some changes since 6 months, or there is some new users of Debian 10 with more feedback...
Or maybe John got time to work on Debian 10..

No, dates on this forum are American style. It was 04-10-2019 which is a few weeks ago. As I would know as he was answering my question.

Would have been April otherwise by the way.

That doesn't sound very assuring though as we are talking production environments here :)

Especially the words "might be fine" and "take that with a grain of salt".

Curious to know when the last bits have been resolved and if there any other users that tested / have run into issues. Indeed a separate forum for debian 10 would help here to provide extra attention and see if there are more people using/testing it.

True, but I think the answer won't differ much today.

There already is a separate forum for testing Debian 10, but this is the only topic in it. So probably no one else is testing or having troubles, I don't know.
http://forum.directadmin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=99

Last edited:
Back