Directadmin, I don't know what's eating all the ram

asyagasy

Verified User
Hello
I'm using Directadmin on centos 6 on a VPS that has 32GB RAM and has 2 wordpress websites

yesterday, I opened my site and it was super slow
I opened the Apache's server status and I didn't see anything weird
I used free -g command and saw that 32GB of my ram been use and 0 free
I used Directadmin service monitor to see which service is using all that RAM but the most usage service is the anti-virus (clamd) witch is using 771MB.
after that httpd with 480MB and nothing is even close to use half of the RAM

I used top command and that shows me something very similar
When I reboot the server it's fixed for a while but after 3-4 minutes it comes back

I'm using that VPS over a year now and that's the first time it happens
all the domains that point to the server are working though Cloudsflare and I've checked the bruteforce monitor but nothing weird there

how can I know who is using all the ram and how can I kill it?

Thanks ahead

I recommend installing htop (google for centos 6 htop if needed), it's like a windows task manager but then for linux. You can see how much ram is really used and you can sort the processes list by for example ram or cpu usage.

Actually it says 32GB RAM is in the system, 1678MB used (~ 1.6 GB). So this one also shows that RAM is not the issue. You could also check the CPU. But other than that it's hard to guess what's going on. Maybe you could look for someone who could take a look at your server if no one else has other suggestions.

Well what is the website that is slow? Who is the infrastructure provider? Did you scan the server for malware? Did you check out Mysql config? So many things could be wrong you have to give us more info.

try
Code:
free -m
. instead of g

Perhaps MySQL is acting up?

You can use mysqltuner to see if it requires more RAM or some performance tuning is needed.

ps -aux will display a list of running processes along with their memory and CPU usage

or building on that ps -eo pid,ppid,cmd,%mem,%cpu --sort=-%mem | head

htop is indeed handy as a monitoring tool as is "glances" (my personal favorite)

Back