Heads Up - FreeBSD 4.x End of Life

HH-Steve

Verified User
If your still using the 4.x branch you better start thinking of your upgrade plans as you have less than 4 weeks until its EOL.

Official EOL for 4.11 is January 31, 2007.

Steve

is they a way to upgrade from freebsd 4.11 to something else working without a reinstall?

Greets,

its possible but an upgrade attempt without local access to the machine there is a good chance it will break and you would be running the ufs1 filesystem on the newer version as well.

Here are a few methods that can be used if your looking for ideas:

The easiest way is to backup all your data to a 2nd HDD and coordinate with the datacenter a time for them to do a reinstall. The downside is you will have a few hours downtime and remember to coordinate with da to change your licence to the 6.x version.

A better but harder way which I used was to purchase another dedicated server installed with FreeBSD 6.1 and play with the DNS. Then I moved the accounts to the new server which will give you very little downtime. The only real downtime was when I moved the mysql data across to the new server but that can't really be helped. I used this method as I thought I may as well upgrade the server while i'm at it.

Steve

how long can it take to change the license from freebsd 4.11 to 6.* ?

Greets,

Get in touch with DA sales department. They can make the change to the license slightly in advance of you making the change.

Then DA will continue to work on your old server for a short period until you've moved to the new system.

Jeff

Back