Strange ProFTPd issue

streamservice

Verified User
Hello,

If this is the wrong location please move the post to the correct location.

I did move users from server a to server b. This went well without any big problem. After the change I did shutdown server a and added the IP to server b.

Before the move:
server a: 10.0.0.220
server b: 192.168.0.150

After the move:
server a: 10.0.0.220
server a: 192.168.0.150

However I now have one user complaining about that they can't use FTP. The DNS (ftp.domain.tld) points to 10.0.0.220 and in DirectAdmin 10.0.0.220 is listed as IP for that user (shared server IP). When connecting to ftp.domain.tld or to 10.0.0.220 their FTP accounts are refused (directadmin account + extra FTP accounts tested). It somehow works if they connect to 192.168.0.150 with the FTP accounts.

I did check /usr/local/data/users/[name]/* for IP 192.168.0.150 and couldn't find it, where should/could I look to fix this?

IPs are changed, however both IPs are from different /8's as listed in the IPs above.

How can I fix this or where should I look?

With kind regards,

Mark Scholten

These are private network addresses. Domains need to point to public ip addresses if they are to be seen on the web. The only way someone could see the domain or upload to it is if they were on the same private network.

These are private network addresses. Domains need to point to public ip addresses if they are to be seen on the web. The only way someone could see the domain or upload to it is if they were on the same private network.

As I did mention I did change the IP address here in the information I did provide.

In reality it is something like:
91.x.y.220
213.u.v.150

With the last number corresponding with the private IPs in the example.

With fake information this could take days to solve.

However I now have one user complaining about that they can't use FTP.

But can you login using their domain and username and password?

So the answer to MY question is no.

Does the domain work?

Again it would be really helpful to have the actual domain and ip's.

So the answer to MY question is no.

Does the domain work?

Again it would be really helpful to have the actual domain and ip's.

Actual IPs:
213.189.17.150 and 91.199.167.220 providing the domainname is impossible (as it is owned by a client). It is only a FTP problem, everything else works.

It is only a FTP problem, everything else works.

Sorry if I don't take your word for that. Too many times I have heard that and spent hours on a problem and it turns out it was something completely different than what the client thought. With ANY problem remotely related to a domain I always check the whois first to see if the status is still active. Then I check to see if it is resolving to the correct ip address. And so on and on.

Your client is trying to ftp using the domain name as the hostname. It would have been nice if we were able to check those things FIRST. As it is we do not even know if the correct server is being contacted. As far as we know the ftp client is contacting the registrar because the domain is expired. There are many factors involved.

The reason for needing the ip addresses: 1. to check to see if the domain resolves correctly, 2. to see if an ftp server is listening, 3. to check to make sure they are on the same machine.

I could go on and on about why we need the domain and ip address. Its like you want us to help you blindfolded.

You may be very right about it being an ftp problem. But yet you have provided no evidence that shows this. You have not provided one log entry. Surely to conclude that its an ftp problem you had to have checked the logs. What do the logs say when trying to connect?

Is it an owned ip? If so have you read this http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=122

If a user has his own IP, only on that IP FTP works, as I know

It works on the owned IP and the server IP, however it doesn't work with other IPs on the server (owned by other users and/or shared by the reseller they are under). At least it looks like that is the problem here.

At least it looks like that is the problem here.

That is not a problem. That is the way it is supposed to work. People with owned ip's will have entries in /etc/proftpd.vhosts.conf that I referred to earlier.

That is not a problem. That is the way it is supposed to work. People with owned ip's will have entries in /etc/proftpd.vhosts.conf that I referred to earlier.

The IP used by the user is a shared IP (shared by their reseller). It did work to use the server IP (but not with that shared IP), I guess somewhere a config has the wrong content.

I have the same problem.
The IP used by the user is a shared IP (shared by their reseller). It did work to use the server IP (but not with that shared IP). Any ideas?

Back