Individual Domain Backups

cyberneticos

Verified User
Individual Domain Restorations via DA

I know this has been brought up before, but I ran through the list of Feature Requests, and I don't see this request anywhere.

Individual Domain Backups

Usually, in our case, when a customers screws up his site files or database, he wants to only restore that domain's files and / or databases, and leave the other domains intact, becuase nothing happened to the others.

So we either have to split open a backup done with DA, or if you use rsync to create incremental backups you have to go fish his info.

This is a royal pain.

So my feature request is for DA to create a function to either allow to create domain backups individually, or to allow only certain domains to be restored from a DA backup.

I'm sure someone is going to jump and try to be funny and say "Why don't you just program it yourself :confused:"

Answer: I'm not a programmer, I pay for Directadmin and this is a feature request, in the feature request forum, which is exactly what this forum is for (for those who do not know/want to program and want DA to do it)

Last edited:
Hello,

Thanks for your request. The reason is hasn't be implemented is due to the way DA currently creates backups. It looks as entire users as a whole, and not portions of them. It backs up the /home/user/domains directory, and everything as a whole, so it would require quite a bit of rewrite to do per-domain backups with it. I won't say that it will never be done, but we'd need quite a bit of demand to justify the extra coding.

Thanks,

John

Hi John,

I understand your response fully. But my idea was not to create a system where you can select which domain to backup, but only to select the domain to restore.

Usually customers want to do a full backup, which is cool, but the restoration part is what is a bit useless when you can't select a certain domain to be backed up.

So the writing requiered, would have to be 1/2 of what you might have thought the request was for. Nevertheless, I'm sure that even half of that is still a bit of coding and would have to be justified.

Let's see if more people will ask for the feature as well. I would think this is something admins run into pretty often.

Cheers , and thanks for responding :)

count me in.. backing up an entire server of domains and not able to restore a specific domain when the user accidentally deletes or a reseller deletes an account would be painful enough to manually restore a specific domain

If you change the way its restored you also have to change the way its backed up.

To manually restore a single domain you can open the tarball, remove the domains you don't want to restore, and rebuild the tarball.

Or just manually restore required files from the opened tarball.

Jeff

Jesus Christ !!!

Man, I never thought about that ! heheheh,... Sometimes we get caught up doing things the complex way, and the easiest/easier solution is right in front of your nose !!

I will certianly jot this one down :)

Now, would it be incredibly difficult to have da look at the tar ball and allow you to decide which ones not to restore ? (That's really what the feature request is for)

Thanks Jeff ;)

Jeff

To manually restore a single domain you can open the tarball, remove the domains you don't want to restore, and rebuild the tarball.

Or just manually restore required files from the opened tarball.

I agree with what you are saying but if we were to do this manually then we could have managed the server manually as well.. wouldn't we? why do we need a tool that DA has graciously developed and we are paying for it.. this is a feature request to make the tool more user friendly and useful..

In fact, you really don't.

Yes, perhaps it is a good idea and perhaps DirectAdmin staff should implement it. I don't decide which suggestions they implement; do you ;)?

Jeff

Back