Is it safe to use Pre-release in a production server

pmjcreations

Verified User
Hello all,

Is it safe to use Pre-release in a production server?

Are pre-release binaries considered as nightly builds?

Jafar as Martynas said and to add another Admins thoughts

I personally dont ever load PRB on a prod system. OMMV

I had an issue with SSL renewal, and that bug got a fix from DA two weeks ago.

But that fix is still in pre-release. Thus I am still experiencing the same issue.

I don't know how long I will have to wait to see the new version in stable.

So I thought to switch to pre-release, luckily I asked here 🙂

I had an issue with SSL renewal, and that bug got a fix from DA two weeks ago.

Hi what kind of problem? want to share?

I didn't ever encounter any errors with renewal trough LE (always using the latest versions of the LE script)

I can explain that, @Active8

Problem: A few of my SSL renewals getting failed every day.

Reason: I have moved from cPanel to DA. At the migration time, all of the hosted domains were having an active SSL Certificates.
As you know, Let's Encrypt's validity is 3 months.

The owners didn't renew less than 10 of the migrated domains. However, their hosting service is still active as they subscribed for yearly plans.

Since they have made the payment, I am not feeing it is right to suspend it or terminate it, even though hosting the files are useless. And that's not a solution to this issue.

Since I am getting this failure emails every day, I tried to use the Disable SSL button, but that wasn't helpful. Indeed DA has a (default) setup where an SSL renewal will retry five times and then give up if the failure repeated.

However, technically, DA did not install these SSLs. Thus, this glitch happens. In short, these are domains without SSL, so SSLs does not need to be renewed.

Solution: So, DA's support team (they are fantastic) identified this behaviour, and they pushed a code/fix to the pre-binary release.

John has added the code to skip the renewal, even if it's due for renewal.
This is done at the same time, a check for a suspended domain is done, which is also skipped.

Now, I have also asked if we can get this fix to the production channel as part of 1.59.6 release. But they said that 1.59.6 would most likely be 1.60.0 which has a fairly large number of changes.

Hey Jafar,
Hope you are well.
When I migrated back in July. I seem to have an issue like that. The issue for me was the .well-known folder that came with Cpanel. Its kept in the public_html area in cpanel. Go look in one of those 10 domains see if you see a folder .well-known..

Post here

and here

In short DA was getting confused. I deleted those .well-known folders and recreated the ssl with DA. no issues.

I am doing well, Brent.

Nice DP 👍

I have cleared the .well-known folder from 4 of those domains. My daily cron task will run in less than two hours.

I will see if it works.

Well worth a shot. I dont exactly remember.. I believe I did this.

Logged in to the user account
deleted the folder
then went to SSL cert section
clicked disable SSL
then re-enabled
then did free and automatic cert
selected all the needed subdomains
and saved the waited to see if the cert came back successful.

Hey Jafar,
Hope you are well.
When I migrated back in July. I seem to have an issue like that. The issue for me was the .well-known folder that came with Cpanel. Its kept in the public_html area in cpanel. Go look in one of those 10 domains see if you see a folder .well-known..

Post here

and here

In short DA was getting confused. I deleted those .well-known folders and recreated the ssl with DA. no issues.
I has same issue when I migrate too and I did the same thing.

Back