Update order

Webfoundry

Verified User
Hi all,

Just a small question : is there a particular order I need to considerate when it comes to .conf files ?
Like, first the .conf files, and second the sevices ?

Annotation 2019-12-08 140952.png

Like so in your example.
Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/custombuild
./build clean
./build update
./build exim
./build dovecot
./build exim_conf     
./build dovecot_conf

I wonder if it matters much.

but in case of other updates; I recall having asked this too before and I believe if you do ./build update_versions then CB will know what to update in what order.
So;

./build clean
./build update

(Optional to check what updates are available): ./build versions
./build update_versions

Thanks both for your reply. Lucky we have custombuild to assist us in those matters.
I remember doing an update a few years back, and all mail arrived in queue, but wasn't delivered to the mailboxes any further. So I didn't wan't to break it a second time:)

Thanks for your support

If there any many updates, I personally try to do small batches of updated at once, and check if everything still works in between.
And of course make sure there's a good backup to fall back on if all might be Fubarred...

Backups should be always there . ;)

Extra:
I make just before from some important databases a dump together with backup of apllications that connect to them to be sure they are in "synch". ( is much easier to restore and.. then)
Then a snapshot of server / vps
And yes if many/more in smaller amounts testing in between.

And YES i needed snapshot backup and those databases BACKUP ONCE OR TWO TIMES. over more then 10 years now.

ok ok If only small changes in updates so as some extra in a conf file ok , i trust on the normal backups.

OYEA important try to read log files after update.

Last edited:
Back