PHP segfault after upgrading today

twv

Verified User
CentOS 7.7 up to date

kernel: httpd[29992]: segfault at 0 ip 00007f499677ef37 sp 00007fff50042828 error 4 in libphp7.so[7f4996227000+e44000]

If I disable PHP2 (5.6) in options.conf, the error goes away. However, some clients need 5.6.

PHP settings in options.conf:
Code:
#PHP Settings
php1_release=7.3
php1_mode=mod_php
# php2_release=5.6
# php2_mode=php-fpm
secure_php=yes
opcache=yes
htscanner=no
php_ini=no
php_timezone=America/New_York
#Possible values - production or development
php_ini_type=production
ioncube=yes
zend=no
suhosin=no
x_mail_header=yes

Hmm if im not mistaken , if you want use multiple php versions you have to use php-fpm.
I see this:
php1_mode=mod_php

Try to use php-fpm for both

Same error here. Apache could not start because of this error. This has been working for months (at least). Why is this suddenly a problem?

Does switching from mod_php to php-fpm break anything like file permissions or specific htaccess configurations?
Do I have to rebuild PHP or rewrite_confs after settings PHP1_mode to php-fpm?

Last edited:
As an offtopic: do NOT use mod_php on shared hosting! It is not suitable because of permissions.

As an offtopic: do NOT use mod_php on shared hosting! It is not suitable because of permissions.
That's not true. You can use mod_php very good on shared hosting if you combine it with mod_ruid2 (php-fpm was not even discovered then). Lots of servers were using this for many years already. And ou don't have any issues with permissions.
Still using mod_php combined with mod_ruid2 and works great.

However, you can't combine mod_php with mod_ruid in a multi-php environment on Directadmin (in cPanel it can be done).
With DA you can use php-fpm for multi-php.

That's not true. You can use mod_php very good on shared hosting if you combine it with mod_ruid2

While mod_ruid2 solves the permissions issue, it is still an Apache in prefork mode which is not efficient enough nowadays. For example it does not support HTTP2. There is no good reason nowadays to choose mod_php over php-fpm.

However, you can't combine mod_php with mod_ruid in a multi-php environment on Directadmin (in cPanel it can be done).

I guess they are doing it there with multiapache installations.

it is still an Apache in prefork mode which is not efficient enough nowadays. For example it does not support HTTP2. There is no good reason nowadays to choose mod_php over php-fpm.
I don't agree. And if you read sites with pro's and cons between these choices, then you see they are different but are both good usable and both have their pro's and cons. So there are good reasons and the servers are efficient. Sites are so fast that most people think we're using nginx with php-fpm, but we're not.
I have one server running http2 if I'm not mistaken. Anyway to check this?

Back