Large mailboxes (5GB+) stopped sending receiving after migrating to a VPS

BerrisHosting

Verified User
Hi all,

Thanks for checking below!

My hosting provider migrated all users and files from a dedicated server to a new VPS (DA 1.60.4 on CentOS 7).

When starting on the new VPS 2 mailboxes on different domains stopped sending and receiving emails.
They can logon to roundcube or their IMAP device and read old emails from before the migration.
But no new emails are coming in and no new emails can be send out.

I thought it was the quota set per user or per package, since something went wrong with the quota updates.
I fixed that with this: https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=557 And set all user-limits to unlimited.
But that didn't fix the problem.

Then I saw some where still at 0 when looking at the user's disk usage details.
I fixed that with this: https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=42
But that also didn't fix the problem.

Turns out my hosting provider knows even less than me, and I didn't even know how to use sudo before today.

Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening?
Are there any other hidden quota's set for mailboxes I don't know off?
Do I need to 'refresh' something else so these mailboxes are kickstarted back to life again?

Thanks for all suggestions,

Rob

PS: I temporarily created new email addresses on the same domains. Forwarded the affected email addresses to the new email.
And the server nicely processes the forward, so the users have a way of looking at their new emails in another mailbox.
So it just doesn't update the old mailbox anymore, but does process the emails for that email addresses.

My hosting provider migrated all users and files from a dedicated server to a new VPS (DA 1.60.4 on CentOS 7).
so were both boxes on DA? OR was this a different panel to DA?
But no new emails are coming in and no new emails can be send out.
This is on all email account or just some? Trying to be sure I follow you.
Do I need to 'refresh' something else so these mailboxes are kickstarted back to life again?
Did check custombuild options.conf? Are they the same as before?

Maybe you have permissions problems, try to "reset"your permissions with:

Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/scripts
./set_permissions.sh all

All was on DA before.

It only happens to 2 mailboxes (on different domains) with a very large IMAP size (both over 5 GB)
Alle other email addresses from all users are working fine as before. No migration issues whatsoever.

I honestly don't know about the old custombuild options.conf..... So I really don't know that....
But will check if I can find it and see something funny there...

Also check quota and if it's enabled on your VPS. Often on VPS systems one has to fix this oneself.

Also check quota and if it's enabled on your VPS. Often on VPS systems one has to fix this oneself.

I thought I did that by doing this:

I thought it was the quota set per user or per package, since something went wrong with the quota updates.
I fixed that with this: https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=557 And set all user-limits to unlimited.
But that didn't fix the problem.

Then I saw some where still at 0 when looking at the user's disk usage details.
I fixed that with this: https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=42
But that also didn't fix the problem.

But if you have other quota checks I can do I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!

In the /var/log/maillog I found this for one affected user:
imap-login: Login: user=<$$$$$$$>, method=PLAIN, rip=127.0.0.1, lip=127.0.0.1, mpid=26958, secured, session=<2qy7wSWlLKl/AAAB>
Normally I see regular IP's and not 127.0.0.1. (Local host?)

But I cannot read this logs...not learning that fast...

Who can recommend some paid service who can try and fix this for me?

It's too much for me to handle at this point.

But if you have other quota checks I can do I'd love to hear them.
I don't think quota is the issue, but if you created a quota in your /etc/fstab you should see some output doing that repquota command.
You first have to be sure if you're using XFS or not.

Maybe if you hire one of the sysadmins mentioned they will check/fix that for you too at the same time.

Obviously you really need to see what is going on in the /var/log/exim/mainlog that is what logs emails coming into your server and going out of your server. In DA from the main screen, there is a link named "Log Viewer" in the Admin Tools section. When you click on it, select the Exim log.
Screen Shot 2020-05-08 at 3.03.31 PM.png

From there change the number of lines from 50 to 0 and enter a domain name you are having issues with in the Grep dialog box then hit "Show Log". That should give you all the lines that match that domain, hopefully the output will help either you to figure it out or if you post the output it could help one of us figure out what is going on.

The size of their mailbox should not make a difference unless you are using the old mbox format and running 32-bit applications. If it is a new install, it should be in Maildir format which means each email is a separate file and file size limitations aren't in play here.

This is the /var/log/exim/mainlog for the user.

A lot of authenticator failed...
But I see that for other users who have no probrlems as well.

Appreciate if someone can take a look.

Will contact the suggested supermans :)

Poralix is on it now.
So hopefully he can get those affected mailboxes running again!
Thanks for all your help so far guys!

Back