Exim 4.94 - Eximconf 4.5.24 - CentOS7 - Exim problem after some minutes

mmgenius

Verified User
We have a problem after installing Exim 4.94 (and eximconf 4.5.24) on a CentOS 7 server. (we have also CentOS 8 servers and this problem doesn't exists on these servers! )

The update from 4.93.0.4 to 4.94 is done correctly, without any error.
After installing and restarting exim works good. But after some minutes the problems starts:
- the queue is filling up
- clients can't send any more mails. Sometimes the mails are send but the client gets a timeout, sometimes the mails isn't send and the client gets a timeout.
- incoming mails are deliverd 2, 3, 4, ... times.

This stays like this untill you restart the exim service, and then it restarts again after some minutes, untill you restart exim again, and so on...

I have now reverted back to Exim 4.93.0.4 and Eximconf 4.5.23 and everything work good again.

I had the same problem with Centos 7 a rebuild of exim and exim_conf made it works again as it should, did you try to rebuild ?

I just tried it again, but it still doesn't work. After some minutes it stops working (also with eximconf 4.5.25)

I just tried it again, but it still doesn't work. After some minutes it stops working (also with eximconf 4.5.25)
Check more attentively all logs exim/system maybe dmesg.
Try to send email from server and track it in logs

The only thing I see when exim stops working is a lot of "SMTP connection from ... closed after SIGTERM" messages.

Has anyone a clue? I have installed it on another CentOS 7 server and it was the same problem.

Just like the other CentOS 7 server, I've done that and this solves the problem.
But I should like to use the latest Exim version on all our servers, not only on the CentOS 8 servers.

Problem is, we have faced this problem with several Centos 7 and 8 systems, so its seems not be an Centos issue, but:

We have an Centos 7 DA box and this one don't have any problems with the latest exim version and config !
All the mails are delivered without any delay or issue ! o_Oo_O

I had this issue on a Centos 8 server, but was fixed rebuilding exim and exim.conf.
No issues however until now on both Centos 7 servers.

I had this issue on a Centos 8 server, but was fixed rebuilding exim and exim.conf.
No issues however until now on both Centos 7 servers.
Hi @Richard G yes I know that workaround but the strange thing was even an rebuild didnt help, so reverting was the only option
For the effected servers we are using the older version that works flawless, when there is an exim update availible will try again

Hello @Active8 I've indeed read that reverting was the only solution. Also in another thread with an issue reverting was the only solution. Which makes me wonder if the update went somewhere a bit wrong on some systems, or what could be the reason that on some systems it works without issues and on other systems an insolvable issue occurs. If it's some extra library or something others may have installed or what could be causing this curious problem.
But it might be hard to find since it's not happening on all systems and no errors in the log.

Luckily we can revert.

My CentOS have the same issue. Anyone can tell me how to revert back to old versions? Thanks!

Back