Solved Debian Thoughts

factor

Verified User
All:
I have thoughts of switching to Debian. I am a long time user of both RH and Debian. Actually I have used almost every major distro in the last 20+years. I don't need Cloud Linux. I do use KernelCare which is on Debian now. I like the idea of upgrading from version to version without reinstall. Has this been a problem with DA? What are your reasons for not using RH, Centos, or BSD? Did any of you all switch from RH to Debian? Have you give a thought of switching to RH and why? As usual, I hope you are all well.

Reasons that I use and keep using Centos:
1.) Much easier to exclude things with yum
2.) Most things (panels and stuff) are basically build for RH/Centos and made to work in other distro's, so chance is more stability on Centos.
3.) Since major versions mostly take 4 to 5 years, we mostly change servers anyway, so on the new server install the new Centos version.
4.) Debian is still different, have to get used to work with things apt-get and use other names like bind9 insteald of named etc.. which takes time which we don't want to spill due to the only (for our compamy rather small) benefit on Debian.

So looking at it this way, the only benefit would be that Debian can upgrade major version without the need of a new server. In our case that's never been an issue. Could be for hosters with a lot more servers.

Which makes me also curious as to thoughts from others, especially if they switched from Centos to Debian and why.

You should only consider opinions from people who is actively using both OS, which may be hard to find.
For example, I started using Linux with RH5 back in the late 90s, then when they switched to RHEL I used Centos for a few months and finally move to Debian which I'm still exclusively using nowadays, no point on me trying to review any other distro beyond some general features that are from common knowledge. My advice: Try it yourself, you can easily install it in a VM and see how it goes.

I recently switched from Debian to CentOS (I posted it on this forum on another topic). Reason was the release cycles of major versions. Debian offers LTS for 5 years, CentOS doubles it at 10. Now 5 years may seem long, but if you installed Debian 8 in early 2017, which was the newest then, in june 2018 you already had to move to the LTS branch and then 2 years later you really have to upgrade. Ubuntu also has some LTS of 10 years or so btw. But for DA, very general speaking I think CentOS is the more favorable option. There are more unexpected issues or unsupported things for Debian than for CentOS, at least is my general notion of what comes along here. Other than that, with CentOS you could also convert to CloudLinux if you wanted.

You should only consider opinions from people who is actively using both OS, which may be hard to find.
I think you're wrong here. Maybe not so hard to find, and also people using some in the past can give good advise. I'm using Debian, Ubuntu and Centos, but only Centos on DA, which I still prefer.

It was many years ago but I think it Mark or somebody else with JBMC that said that DA is built on CentOS first so therefore it would always be the most stable. I know its already been said but just wanted to point out that it came from JBMC and not just our opinion.

Thanks all for the input. I will stay on CentOS for the foreseeable future.

Back