quote error

NickRac

Verified User
Error with system Quotas
No disc quota is found for the indicated user. Quotas have not been turned on for this filesystem.

what does this mean and how do I fix it? I get it everytime I create a new user.

Hi Nick,

It should be working now, sorry about the error. For anything as important as this, be sure to use our live chat feature (on the support page) or e-mail, and we will be able to help you a lot faster.

Mark

Do I need to restart anything after running that? Cause I ran it then created a user and got this message.

Unix User created successfully
User's data directory created successfully
Domains directory created successfully
Domains directory created successfully in user's home

Domain Created Successfuly

Error with system Quotas
No disc quota is found for the indicated user. Quotas have not been turned on for this filesystem.

Hello,

type:
cat /etc/fstab

and make sure that /home has usrquota,grpquota on its line.

If it does, a simple reboot should enable quota's on the filesystem, if quotaon -a didn't work (or quotaon /home)

John

I'm sorry.... I feel like I'm being a pain. but....

I did this

quotaon -a and it didn't work. So I did this...

type:
cat /etc/fstab

and make sure that /home has usrquota,grpquota on its line. (it does have it on it's line)

If it does, a simple reboot should enable quota's on the filesystem, if quotaon -a didn't work (or quotaon /home)

Then I rebooted but I'm still getting the error when I create new user. :confused:

Ok, sorry, I went on your server and the quota files didn't exist... for anyone else having the problem:

/bin/mount -o remount,rw -a
/sbin/quotacheck -cavug
/sbin/quotaon -a

quotacheck will create the quota files for you.
Sorry for the trouble.

John

And you aren't bugging us, Bonnie. It's our responsibility to make sure these things work. :D

Mark

And to answer your question, we did that for you, so everything should be working now.

this respond the server. How can i fix?

[root@ar9 home]# /sbin/quotacheck -cavug
quotacheck: Can't find filesystem to check or filesystem not mounted with quota option.

Hello,

Check your /etc/fstab file to ensure that the quotas have been enabled on /home or /. Mine contains something like:
Code:
LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults,usrquota,grpquota      1 1
LABEL=/home             /home                   ext3    defaults,usrquota,grpquota        1 2
along with the other partitions.

If you don't have the usrquota,grpquota lines, just run the fstab.sh script from your da scripts directory:
Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/scripts
./fstab.sh
John

yes, i didnt have those quotas. I drun that scripts, but the fstab file is the same, without quotas. i have to reboot?

You shouldn't need to reboot. You can just manually add the usrquota,grpquota portion (to make them look similar to the above lines), then type:
Code:
/sbin/quotaoff -a
/bin/mount -o remount,rw /home
/bin/mount -o remount,rw /
/sbin/quotacheck -cavugm
/sbin/quotaon -a
after the lines have been added.

John

I put manualy those 2 lines in /etc/fstab.
I execute the command: /sbin/quotaoff -a

And when I try "/bin/mount -o remount,rw /home" I receive an error: "could not open /proc/partitions, so UUID and LABEL conversion cannot be done."

My fstab file, now looks like this:
none /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0
LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults,usrquota,grpquota 1 1
LABEL=/home /home ext3 defaults,usrquota,grpquota 1 2

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm getting:

Code:
[root@xxxxxxx /]# /sbin/quotacheck -cavug
bash: /sbin/quotacheck: No such file or directory

When I tried enabling quotas... help! :D

Matt

Well that's a new one :)... try to see if it's anywhere by using:

locate quotacheck

It's probably not installed.. and your kernel would most likely not have quotas compiled in..

John

Did that before, even used updatedb with no luck.

So how do I solve this? Do I need to tell the VDS company that host me to do something with the kernel?

Cheers,
Matt :)

Back