Hosting Only How To?

WholesaleDialup

Verified User
I have a domain that has it's email hosted already on one of our dedicated mail servers.

I want the hosting portion only (not DNS, mail etc.) on DA, how do I turn off DNS, mail etc. for this domain and keep hosting in place?

I am concerned that a user within another of the domains on the DA server will try to email this other domain and the email will get stuck in DA where it will never be picked up instead of sent to the dedicated mail server.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I have dug around in the docs and did a few searches in the forum but can't seem to find what I am looking for.

Dunno if this helps but had a situation where email was hosted on another site and used the following which works...
Login as user (user level) and go to DNS Management.

Delete mail type A record
and MX record

and replaced with mail type A and IP value of mail server.

and MX record with IP number followed by "." MX 10.

Thanks, I had already tweaked the DNS thinking this would help.

I am still concerned though that if someone has an email account within one of the other domains on this DA server that any mail to the domain that is "Hosting Only" will get stuck within the DA server or bounce.

I am thinking that the mail server on DA will see that it's a local domain, look for the matching mailbox, not see it and bounce the mail. Anyone know if my fears are correct?

gno's answer doesn't go far enough.

You need to look at the MX Records section of the user control panel.

Uncheck the local mailserver option, and save.

Then from the DNS section of the admin panel, delete the entire DNS zone.

Jeff

Back