HowTo: MailScanner 4.24 for Exim 4.24

Hello and tahnks for all the info.
I will take a look at it in a bit I am now working on a billing issue.

Thanks

--- Richard

Is there also a HOWTO remove Mailscanner and implement the new (Exim) way of doing things?

Kind Regards,
Onno Vrijburg

serverguy said:
Hello blacknight

I checked every post and tried ALL links and you get 404 error.

I will locate some that work.

Thanks

Richard
Look at the URLs. Go to their main sites and grab the latest versions. I can't see why this is so difficult.

How to disable removing any attachments (with extensions .exe, .com, etc for example) if they not a viruses?

RosT said:
How to disable removing any attachments (with extensions .exe, .com, etc for example) if they not a viruses?
In /etc/MailScanner you will see two files:
filetype.rules
filename.rules

Edit those to allow the extensions and filetypes you want.

Originally posted by interfasys As a last step, you can add domains to the rbl file (blocks spams at data time).

Using SpamBlocker (which is already included in the latest DA installs) and modifying the RBLs in use to fit your needs, you can block spam at rcpt time, which is a much better time to block spam, since it doesnt' require downloading it, and since it all but assures the server won't retry sending it.

Jeff

jlasman said:
Using SpamBlocker (which is already included in the latest DA installs) and modifying the RBLs in use to fit your needs, you can block spam at rcpt time, which is a much better time to block spam, since it doesnt' require downloading it, and since it all but assures the server won't retry sending it.

Jeff
Word of caution: Some of the RBLs listed here will lead to a higher rate of false positives. You should check the criteria of each RBL before putting it into production.

Blocking via RBLs may reduce server load, but it is a very drastic and dangerous way of doing it especially if you are providing mail services to a wide variety of users (as most hosting companies would be)

We know you don't like blocklists, and that's certainly your privilege.

The fact is that using blocklists (which we do tweak from time to time) we've had only three false positives in over two years.

And when we block, we block with an error message that sends people to a page that tells them where to send an email to get unblocked, so it's not as if we don't notify them.

And yet, in over two years, only three false positives.

If you feel some of the blocklists we use may cause false positives please let us know; I'll be happy to do some tweaking if necessary.

Jeff

Jeff

We use RBLs but we do not block based on them alone. You *may* have only had 4 false positives, but you are not giving any indication of the customer base you are dealing with nor any other supplemental information.
It *may* work well for you, however we have seen too many issues both on our own network and on those of other companies to be able to block mail based solely on an RBL.
If people want to use blocklists I would consider it very dangerous, as many of them only see the possible advantages without taking into consideration many of the downsides. I've seen too many postings from users of anti-spam "solutions" over the last year or so who have been bemused by the blocking of valid emails to and from their servers to idly sit by and let people implement this kind of "solution" without being aware of the pitfalls.
If you are fully aware of the pitfalls and willing to accept the risks that blocking in this manner and have also taken the time to investigate the RBLs that you are using, then "be my guest".

So, since you're writing about the 'pitfalls' we should all know about, what are they?

Our customer base? shared hosting customers, some of whom are very concerned about missing important emails and false positives.

Currently about 84% of the emails we get every day are spam. Using blocklists as just one criteria means filtering, not blocking.

If we were filtering instead of blocking we'd probably need about five times much mailserver horsepower as we use now.

Our SpamBlocker is now an integral part of DA, but of course it's turned off by default.

Jeff

Hi Guys,

The strangest thing happend.

Exim, Mailscanner etc. where working just fine.
Suddenly without any changes the whole system does not work anymore, Exim and mailscanner are still running.
But in the message header, there are no more messages of:

X-Kyra|e-Motion-Information: Please contact [email protected] for more information
X-Kyra|e-Motion-MailScanner: Found to be clean
X-Kyra|e-Motion-SpamCheck: not spam, SpamAssassin (score=0, required 6)
? I have no idea what happend, I tried to restart the service etc. but it has no effect.
Has anyone a Idea what i can do about this strange situation ?

Cedric

Cedric

Have you tried stopping all mail processes and restarting MailScanner?

What are you seeing in the mail logs?

Hi, I've update DA to 22.5 and now won't to use new feature "spam assasin" whitch is included in new DA. So I've disable old spamassassin in mailscanner.conf but now I got no scanning at all ?

So I can't use new feature in DA with a mailscanner to scan mail for viruses ? Aren't there any way round this problem ? To scan mail for viruses and the same time use new DA spam asassin ?

You would need to look at other options.

You might be able to invoke clamscan or similar, but I haven't investigated it.

Back