VERY Serious bug in latest update D/A !!

dirko

Verified User
Since last friday, after updating the latest DA, we cannot get back to our DA panel.

All our boxes in the LAN give back a blank empty screen and "ready"

Also none of our users' subdomains can be called on as subdomain, just as subdir since this update.

This is what Micro$oft says about it.
support.microsoft.com/kb/815768/NL-NL/#kb3

Is there any bugfix jet available? We get crazy about mad complaining customers... !!!

:mad: :confused:

We have updated one of our systems and it is fine so I don't think it is a very serious bug in DA.

Very serious - yes

Bug - maybe

In DA - Hmm I don't think so.

Rob

BUG in DA ?

We never had any problem with it, however, it 's a known issue with Micro$oft.

Funny thing is that if we use an old backup 56k6 modem, we can see the page and login without prob. however slow (..;-(( )... So i begin to believe it's a serious DNS problem, however, the D/A panel is really the ONLY dom.page we cannot see....:-?

Besides that, no subdomain can be seen, unless it is typed as a subdir after the trailing slash of the domainname.

There have been no changes in our Nameservices/servers.

Any clue?
dirko

sullise said:
Sounds more like a problem with named then DA.

Maybe, but why
a/ after 4 yrs failureless functioning?

and

b/ all of a sudden AFTER we updated DA?

and why ONLY the DA interface?

Would you try my DApanel, if it works from one of YOUR boxes?
That might tell my DNS returns the

Can i give you the IP block in PM?

dirko:confused:

sure. pm me the IP for your da login and I'll see if it works for me..I use IE6.

Do you know that BIND is returning NXDOMAIN when there is in fact an A record?

What have you tested to show that?

Can you post a nonworking domain name so we can test independently?

Jeff

I tested his IP's and was able to login to his DA control panels..

Hi there,

We managed to access the DA panel with a modem connection, so it is definately not a DA issue. Sorry i was shouting too early, but it happened right after we updated our DA..)

As some other domains and sub-domains of our customers also do not resolve it must be an issue of my ISP's DNS. Will contact the satellite ISP (Hughes) for them to read the M$ techn. bulletin, as it descirbes exactly what happens and what they could do about it.. :confused:

will report if any news,
rgds
dirko

www.net4all.hu

Bug in DA or DNS issue ?

Hi there, Gents, ladies..

Still did not find solution for this issue.
Hughes Sat.-conn. Provider says they can get the interface of our webserver on their screens by typing the IP + :2222 (port) using the same DNS as we are using. So it's not a wrong setting somewehere.. (?) Strange thing is, it worked fine for over 4 years without changing settings of the resp. boxes...! All of a sudden one box after the other gave up showing the controlpanel D/A on the screen, all showing a blank "ready" or a dns error...:confused:

Nevertheless, none of our boxes in the LAN -8 x- get the DirectAdmin panel on the screen: just a blank, or an dns error.
The ISP, where our ded.server is located says the admin panel with them resolves, so -of course- the problem lies somewhere else....

Unless: we use a 56k6 modem conn., using the dns of TELE2, and the DA flashes with the speed of light on our screens; i.e. must be an dns issue? or am i wrong ??

Now, we do not knnow where to search, as we are sent from one to the other. M$ is quite clear in their bulletin, but why just with us and not with any other box somewhere else?

Who's willing out there to help, using the DNS Hughes provided ?
If possuble.
dirko
hungary

:confused:

jlasman said:
Do you know that BIND is returning NXDOMAIN when there is in fact an A record?

Can you post a nonworking domain name so we can test independently?

Jeff

Would be much obliged if you tell us how we can test that ??

dirko
hungary
techn. engineer www.net4all.hu www.satdsl.hu

You posted us a reference to a Microsoft page that said that was the error.

So I got it from you.

Are standard DNS requests (nslookup from a Windows or linux command line) working? If so then it's not a DNS error.

Please post the output of the nslookup <servername> command from the same system you can't get to work for you.

Idea:
Did you ask your ISP if they're blocking port 2222 on their high-speed connections?

Jeff

jlasman said:

Please post the output of the nslookup <servername> command from the same system you can't get to work for you.

Idea:
Did you ask your ISP if they're blocking port 2222 on their high-speed connections?

Jeff

Hi Jeff, the nslookup responds : defaultserver ns1.direcpceu.com address 195.238.40.45
from cmd line. So it is not dns error.

port 2222 is not blocked by Hughes.

http://xxx.etc ip nr.:2222 resolves fast when we use an old fashioned 56K6 modemline, when we switch to the sat conn. on no box on the LAN we get the page resolved: just the screen "ready" and blank.

doesnt make any diff. if we change settings in opera, IE, FF, Slimbrowser, or IE7 beta.

Did we overlook anything ??

:confused:

dirko
hungary

Might as well look...

If you have *Blacklist IPs for excessive login attempts* checked in Administrator Settings, you may want to look at:

/usr/local/directadmin/data/admin/ip_blacklist

DaveR~

Back