HOWTO: Setup Nameservers

loopforever

Verified User
Setup Your Nameservers

To setup your nameservers, simply do the following:

- Login to your DirectAdmin panel as "admin"
- Go to your IP Management section, and add two new IP addresses
- Once they are added, click the check boxes next to the two IPs that you've just submitted. Assign these IPs to "admin"
- Now go to your Reseller panel, and navigate to your Nameserver section
- On this page, create your two nameservers, generally ns1. and ns2.
- Finally, go back to your Admin panel and go to your Administrator Settings page. Set your nameservers to the ones you have just created and save your changes.

hi, i am thinking is this correct?

i thought adding DNS server should be done in admin panel.

should go to admin panel and -> set admin setting , you will see setup server name, ns1/ns2 etc.

must of missed this one moving the posts across a while ago!

Moved to howto section.

The nameservers used for domains need to be set under the "set admin settings" section, thats simply for the domains NS records for each site... you need to setup the A records and the records at the registar also...

Chris

Late reply but,

- On this page, create your two nameservers, generally ns1. and ns2.

I have the boxes ns1 and n2 there, but the dropdown is empty. If i add users with domainnames, these names will enter this box too. Isnt it possible to use here my webhostingdomain without creating a package for it(using the /var/www/html ) ?

Hey,

If I understand what you're asking... Yes.

The link in this thread has a post from DA which I think answers what you want to do, I've quoted it and the link as well:

You don't need to create a domain.com with the User panel and you don't need to use the "NameServers" function on the Reseller page.

Just go to:

Admin Panel -> DNS Administration -> add the dns record for the domain you want, and add whatever records you need.

John

Here's the link:

http://www.directadmin.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=10306

Hope that was what you needed.

David

Hey,

I don't think they are suppose to show up...

I've got a DA box that has two name servers that I created at enom and point to that DA box using a couple of IPs that are assigned to Admin.

The nane servers are not from a domain on that box but, I have several domains (on that box) that use those name servers and control their DNS via the DA control panel.

Each domain that uses those name servers show up in the pull down menu on that page but, the IPs I used for those name servers only show as assigned to Admin on that page, it doesn't show them with any name servers...

If I go to the DNS Admin page in Admin I can select a domain and that is where I see those name servers assigned to that domain.

David

Name Type Value Select
ftp A 38.100.22.124
localhost A 127.0.0.1
mail A 38.100.22.124
ns1.serverupload.net. A 38.100.22.125
ns2.serverupload.net. A 38.100.22.126
pop A 38.100.22.124
serverupload.net. A 38.100.22.124
www A 38.100.22.124
serverupload.net. NS ns1.serverupload.net.
serverupload.net. NS ns2.serverupload.net.
mail MX 10
124.22.100.38.in-addr.arpa PTR www.serverupload.net.
serverupload.net. TXT "v=spf1 a mx ip4:38.100.22.124 ?all"

the above is from my directadmin area. dnsstuff fails to tracert my server or to check DNS. can you help?

This is a dedicated server

tinuzzo said:
Name Type Value Select
ftp A 38.100.22.124
localhost A 127.0.0.1
mail A 38.100.22.124
ns1.serverupload.net. A 38.100.22.125
ns2.serverupload.net. A 38.100.22.126
pop A 38.100.22.124
serverupload.net. A 38.100.22.124
www A 38.100.22.124
serverupload.net. NS ns1.serverupload.net.
serverupload.net. NS ns2.serverupload.net.
mail MX 10
124.22.100.38.in-addr.arpa PTR www.serverupload.net.
serverupload.net. TXT "v=spf1 a mx ip4:38.100.22.124 ?all"

the above is from my directadmin area. dnsstuff fails to tracert my server or to check DNS. can you help?

This is a dedicated server

set this
ns1.serverupload.net. A 38.100.22.124
ns2.serverupload.net. A 38.100.22.125

Wael

ok, thanks. I deleted the old NS settings and added the ones you gave me. Can you check also from your end? Now what?

Code:
ns1	A	38.100.22.124	
ns1.serverupload.net.	A	38.100.22.124	
ns2	A	38.100.22.125	
ns2.serverupload.net.	A	38.100.22.125
serverupload.net.	NS	ns1.serverupload.net.	
serverupload.net.	NS	ns2.serverupload.net.

so I should list them as above? But in dns stuff the IPs are .125 and .126; are you sure?

my registrar has ns1.serverupload.net and ns2.serverupload.net but no place for IPs, so what now? My registrar is 1and1.com

tinuzzo said:
my registrar has ns1.serverupload.net and ns2.serverupload.net but no place for IPs, so what now? My registrar is 1and1.com
What are your nameserver IP#s?

Currently your registrar says your nameservers are:

ns1.serverupload.net 38.100.22.124
ns2.serverupload.net 38.100.22.125

Both nameservers at both those IP#s are timing out.

That means either the IP#s are incorrect, your nameserver is turned off, or you've got a firewall in place blocking them.

The first thing to do is contact your registrar where you registered the domain serverupload.net, and set up two nameservers. How you do that differs from registrar to registrar so you may have to contact their support time to find out how to do it if it's not obvious from their interface.

Note that this is NOT the same as assigning nameservers to the domain. You need to register the nameservers.

Make sure you register them at the correct IP#s. If the correct IP#s are NOT as above, register them with the correct IP#s.

If the IP#s above are incorrect then log into your server and remove the ns1 and ns2 A records in the serverupload.net zone. If there's more than one A record for either or both of the nameservers, remove them all. Then set up two new A records in the serverupload.net zone, one for each of the nameservers you registered at your nameserver. If the IP#s above are correct you can probably skip this step, but it won't hurt.

Once that's done wait up to 72 hours for the nameserver changes in the registry to take place.

Once that time has expired, then check here to see if you still get errors.

If you do, then check to make sure your nameserver is running:
Code:
ps waux | grep named

If it is, then check to make sure your firewall isn't blocking the nameserver port (port 53). How you do that depends on the firewall you're using but by default kiss and SPF, if installed following instructions in these forums will allow port 53 traffic required by the nameserver. You need to have port 53 opened up both inbound and outbound, for both TCP and UDP traffic.

Jeff

Hi,

I have registred in this forum only to say that you haft to take care with those of 1and1 because they are very nonprofessionals
and create some nameservers with them its something like impossible task because have a very stupid team support that I have saw in my all
life or what I found in 10 years from when I walk through the internet.
There are people in the support team of 1and1 who not know what is a nameserver itself and give support to the clients.
Bad Bad choice of domain register I made .. I want to transfer the all the domains what I have in 1and1 company because I can not let
some incompetent people to manage my domains.

Don't hurry like me when you buy a domain and think two times before to buy some thing from 1and1.

Currently those two nameservers at serverupload.net don't resolve at all; not even at the root servers. My guess is that 1and1 doesn't allow you to create nameservers; that they probably expect you to use domains purchased (or gotten free) from them to be used only to point to their servers.

Only a guess, though.

Jeff

Back