Question about Reseller Accounts

Marty

Do you have plans to incorporate the ability to setup resellers so that they can resell an unlimited number of predefined account packages? Essentially, we do not utilize a bulk reseller model. Our resellers resell predefined packages that they pay a reduced rate to purchase from us.

do you mean like ensim, where you can create packages to make sites quicker in the future, so when you go to create a site you can select a predefined package or setup the site manually?

Chris

Marty,

You would simply have to create User packages in your Reseller panel, and activate them for your clients (using their client's account information), what you charge them is insignificant, because it's done externally by your billing software.

What Marty is writing about is setting up a reseller with the ability set up unlimited sites but only from a list of templates. Then he'd charge his reseller based on how many such sites the reseller would be using.

Jeff

Yeah, I understand - it's not possible to do that. That's why I said he needs to create user accounts manually - you simply can't restrict access to a feature like "Add Packages" to stop a reseller from making other packages.

Well, technically it's possible, though I don't know if anycontrol-panel publisher allows it.

Here are the necessary steps, just in case John is reading and wants to implement it...

1) set up the reseller with unlimited space, mailboxes, etc.

2) restrict the reseller to only being able to sell packages set up for her/him.

Billing isn't really that hard either; if we were going to do this (we're most likely not), we'd want to get emails whenever a domain is created (DA may very well do this now) and then afterwards use a script to monitor the domain's continued existence on the box.

Jeff

Its obviously possible, but i dont think DA is designed for that kind of use, and to have the OPTION built in would involve a fair bit of work. If it was ONLY select a package and track it would be more simple although i dont think DA will make a special release for 1, unless you are willing to pay lots of course, the alternative is to get permission and customise it yourself if you have the knowledge.

Chris

jlasman said:
Well, technically it's possible, though I don't know if anycontrol-panel publisher allows it.

I am currently a Cpanel user and this is the model that my reseller program is built around. Cpanel supports this model and did so before they supported bulk reselling. I don't know about other control panels, but I know cpanel supports it. This is a limitation that would keep me from using DirectAdmin, as much as I like what I see, I cannot see me switching to a bulk reseller model.

you can limit a reseller to only make SPECIFIC packages with CPanel?

ProWebUK said:
you can limit a reseller to only make SPECIFIC packages with CPanel?

Yes, I can limit a reseller to only create accounts based on packages that I have created. They cannot create thier own packages with different specs. Essentially, they are not limited in the number of packages or by total bandwidth or space. They create a new account choosing a package that I set up. I get notified that they created the new account and which package they used. I charge the reseller 50% of the retail for that package and they charge their client whatever they want or can get. Their cost grows as their client base grows.

Back