Ubuntu Dapper Support (64Bit)

Wido

Verified User
Hi,

Some time ago i mailed the DirectAdmin support with this question, i'll quote my e-mail here:

Dear Sir/Madam,

At the moment we run about 50 DirectAdmin servers, most of them run
Debian Sarge.

A few weeks ago Ubuntu Dapper (6.06) got released, wich seems to be a
huge step in the evolution of Ubuntu.

As you probably know, Ubuntu is based on Debian. I never tested it, but
i think DirectAdmin will run on Ubuntu 32Bit without any troubles at all.

I have tested Ubuntu 64Bit on a Dual Opteron system for the past few
weeks and the performance is really great, much better then on a 32Bit
system.

Also the support term for Dapper is great, 5 years of support on
servers. (Source: http://www.ubuntu.com/news/606released)

That's why i would like to request support for Ubuntu 64Bit for
DirectAdmin.

I know, porting a system to a new OS and testing it is not an easy job.
But here in Holland we say: "Niet geschoten is altijd mis", translated
to english: "If you don't shoot you will always miss"

Is there a chance that Ubuntu 64Bit will be supported in the near future?

Their response was:

Hello,

There is a chance, but we would have to see more demand for it. At the moment, most of our clients are using the redhat based systems. So there are not any plans at the moment, but should the demand be higher, we can look into it.

Thank you,

John

Since then i have been setting up more and more Ubuntu systems running on AMD64 CPU's.

They are all stable and fast, just like you expect from a OS.

In the future more and more systems will go to 64Bit instead of 32Bits, so i think it is smart to make this step now and go to a 64Bits system.

Now my question is, what is your opinion about Ubuntu 64Bit?

Should it be supported, yes or no?

Last edited:
I guess it's okay to answer, since you're asking.

My opinion: the less OS distributions DA supports the better it will work, the faster new features will come out, and the less bugs there will be.

Do I have to answer any further than that :) ?

DA is written on RH systems. Everything else is a port.

Jeff

jlasman said:
I guess it's okay to answer, since you're asking.

My opinion: the less OS distributions DA supports the better it will work, the faster new features will come out, and the less bugs there will be.

Do I have to answer any further than that :) ?

DA is written on RH systems. Everything else is a port.

Jeff
Ok, that's a good point, but you have to admit, RedHat is really loosing terrain against distributions like Debian and Ubuntu.

Last edited:
On servers, among server administrators? In commercial environments? Absolutely not.

And not on my desktops either; I prefer (after much trying and testing), Mandriva.

Jeff

I'm surprised that how you can check that demand of user for 64bit OS?

for the time being DA just support Redhat/CentOS 64bit as beta
this is force all client that want 64bit OS to use Readhat/CentOS even the expect the other one eg. freeBSD, Debian, Ubuntu
and for those who not want Redhat/CentOS they will use other 32bit OS instread.

I agree that the less OS supported make the less problem but also less market share.

now 64bit OS are coming then DA should start support for 64bit OS atlease 3 distributions eg. Redhat/CentOS, Debian/Ubuntu and freeBSD.

I'm using DA on freeBSD 5.4 i386 with EM64T cpu because DA not yet support for freeBSD 64bit and yes this is 1 demand that want to 64bit is this included in your demand check?
I prefer 64bit of freeBSD or Ubuntu/Debian but not RedHat/CentOS

Regards,

Last edited:
While this should be worked on, its really not that important since most of the userland can't support 64bit. Till we see all the major services starting to support native 64bit builds we should't even be worred about this.

I just reinstalled Debian 3.1 stable on a AMD64 machine where we worked with CentOS64 4.3. That machine was 'freezing' every 18/24 hours. We tried different kernels, standard DA install and upgrades to Apache 2.0.59, latest MySQL, etc. Nothing stopped that freezing. We let the hardware changing by our provider, we opend a few trouble tickets here. No solutions found. Now we changed I have a stable server for more than 24hours.

kke said:
I'm surprised that how you can check that demand of user for 64bit OS?

for the time being DA just support Redhat/CentOS 64bit as beta
this is force all client that want 64bit OS to use Readhat/CentOS even the expect the other one eg. freeBSD, Debian, Ubuntu
and for those who not want Redhat/CentOS they will use other 32bit OS instread.

I agree that the less OS supported make the less problem but also less market share.

now 64bit OS are coming then DA should start support for 64bit OS atlease 3 distributions eg. Redhat/CentOS, Debian/Ubuntu and freeBSD.

I'm using DA on freeBSD 5.4 i386 with EM64T cpu because DA not yet support for freeBSD 64bit and yes this is 1 demand that want to 64bit is this included in your demand check?
I prefer 64bit of freeBSD or Ubuntu/Debian but not RedHat/CentOS

Regards,

Back