Cannot receive email from some domains

lgatzoulis

Verified User
All of a sudden I have this strange problem:

exim does not accept email from certain domains with no apparent reason. I can see in exim logs that a connection is made from the remote smtp server but nothing more.

exim's mainlog shows this:
Code:
2006-12-03 15:55:12 SMTP connection from [217.64.192.82]:44213 I=[83.243.43.56]:25 (TCP/IP connection count = 1)

nothing more in mainlog or reject log

The remote smtp server shows this error:

Code:
Dec  3 13:18:00 vhost3 sendmail[22855]: kB3BHphd022844: to=<[email protected]>, delay=00:00:09, xdelay=00:00:04, mailer=esmtp, pri=120673, relay=mail.domain.com . [83.243.43.56], dsn=4.0.0, stat=Deferred: Connection reset by mail.domain.com.

(of course user and domain in the log represent the actual real values).

I have updated exim.conf with a fresh one (and applied the dovecot patch)

I have tried turning off and on spamassassin and firewall but did not make any difference.

Can anyone please help, as it drives me crazy (and my clients have started complaining)

Thanks in advance

If it's only for certain domains then it's going to be hard to trace. I presume you've checked that the MX records of the domains in question to make sure they point to your server, and I also presume that mail.domain.com refers to your server (actually there's a real server out there called mail.domain.com but I presume you don't mean that one).

Learn how to use exim -bh locally on your server to pretend you're sending from the server having problems, and try a manual email transaction to trace it.

But it really looks as if the problem is in the TCP/IP connection.

Jeff

I managed to solve the problem at first by turning off TLS advertisement in exim.conf (tls_advertise_hosts = !*)

The problem was caused because I tried to upgrade openssl to 0.9.8 by using the all-in-1 script you can find in this forum. The script really messed up openssl. Once I downgraded to 0.9.7a-43.14 (Centos 4.4. current) I switched on TLS advertisement and everything runs just fine.

Back