How to upgrade Dovecot?

I found it and it worked. I had to edit the dovecot section for the latest version.

cd /usr/local/directadmin/customapache
./build update
./build clean
./build update_dovecot
./build dovecot
/sbin/service dovecot restart

Here's how we update Dovecot:
Code:
# cd /usr/local/directadmin/customapache
# ./build update
# ./build update_dovecot
# ./build dovecot
# service dovecot restart

Jeff

Here's how we update Dovecot:
Code:
# cd /usr/local/directadmin/customapache
# ./build update
# ./build update_dovecot
# ./build dovecot
# service dovecot restart

Jeff

Hey Jeff

Just to clarify

Once you already have dovecot installed, there is no need to run the last command in the build script
./build todovecot ?

Thanks

Yes, you don't need to run "todovecot", because this command is used to convert system to dovecot (convert all emails, delete vm-pop3d etc.)

hi

regarding converting to dovecot, do i need to change anything with spamassain, mailscanner, clamav etc, or are these unaffected.

Ok... after reading this I have an important question for ye gurus out there. Jeff, looking at your post I see that you don't do the "todovecot" command. I see smtalk mention that it isn't necessary... and from that comment I assume that Dovecot will run without executing the "todovecot" process?

If the "todovecot" command doesn't have to be run... well, uh why is it suggested if there is "no turning back" from it's conversion? I assume John put it in there for some apparent reason that (right now) I am a bit confused about. Someone please straighten me out on this...

To clarify.

To Convert to Dovecot ( current system: vm-pop to new system: dovecot )
Code:
./build update
./build update_dovecot
./build dovecot
./build todovecot
service dovecot restart

Just upgrading DoveCot ( ie old version to new version )

Code:
./build update
./build update_dovecot
./build dovecot
service dovecot restart

Last edited:
Hey... thanks for the input. I must say that does make sense but I just didn't get that out of reading the thread as a whole.

I'm sorry if my post was unclear; the thread is about upgrading Dovecot; there are other threads about converting to Dovecot.

Jeff

No, my appoligies :D I had just jumped in without reading the topic as close as I should. I was searching the forums about switching to Dovecot in general... and I suppose I did a "drive-by" reply. I do appreciate all of the input though... it helps me to learn.

Do i need to stop the vm-pop3d service?

What do i need to do to prevent errors/problems.

Kyle

You do not need to stop vm-pop3d; the update will do it for you.

You shouldn't run into problems if you follow instructions, though of course no one can guarantee that. You should always have backups of all critical files.

Jeff

Back