Email Forwarding from the DefaultAccount

drazhar

Verified User
Hi Guys. I tried to setup a forwarder on the default account for a domain, but got the error "Forwarder 'blah' already exists."

Any thoughts?

I have this problem to
i have more domains under my account
and by 1 domain i will forward the email [email protected]

but i can't create a forwarder or create a other popbox for it
is there a other way to create this forwarder ?

Did you check the forwarders list to see if it already exists?

Jeff

Yes there are no forwarders
there is only 1 pop account and that is the default pop account

but the name of the forwarder have the same name as the default pop account
so i can't create a forwarder with that name

but can't delete the default pop account

so maybe is there a other way to create that forwarder ?

This is changed behavior. I just tried it; I deleted a forwarder I'd created in the past and could NOT recreate it.

Perhaps there was a good reason for the change.

John?

Jeff

This is indeed a bug it seems. Oops!! Must have been a few lagers at DA HQ in between the last update (for the bandwidth tally bug) and the previous!! :)

work around

This is changed behavior. I just tried it; I deleted a forwarder I'd created in the past and could NOT recreate it.

Perhaps there was a good reason for the change.
Jeff

Here's what I discovered reference to to the forwarder stuff....not having the ability to forward mail to Admin to external address was something I really didn't like

-----------------------------------------------------
Aliases for admin are in

/etc/virtual/the_admin_domain/aliases
The original alias file was

admin: admin
*: admin

By editing that file, not only can we add alias names for admin(to send copies of emails) but we can then see it in the control panel
Example:

admin: admin,[email protected],[email protected]

Email Only User aliases
Email Only User aliases are stored in the alias file for the domain owner

So, we can use the forwarder panel to create an email alias and forward it to external address(es)
So, the alias file with the domain owner and alias would look like

admin: admin,[email protected],[email protected]
dinky: [email protected],admin,[email protected]

I haven't tried deleting and recreating it....but if the control panel wouldn't let me do it, I'd do it from the prompt as above.

Being lazy....is there an addin for Squirrelmail that allows the user to set a forward condition?

Thom

is there an addin for Squirrelmail that allows the user to set a forward condition?

I seriously doubt it since Squirrelmail does not handle mail delivery at all.

I seriously doubt it since Squirrelmail does not handle mail delivery at all.

Thanks....I beleive open webmail does allow for that...one less thing for me to do for the user :)

Thom

There is no web mail software that handles mail delivery. Webmail in any form is just like your mail client on your computer. For instance Outlook Express can handle forwarding but only after you open it and let is download the email from a n account then it filters it and then resends it. But it does not handle the actual delivery. If webmail supported such a thing it would not work until you logged into it and basically triggered the forward filter. And then as soon as you logged out it would stop forwarding.

There are some others out there that will also run from a cron job and download and filter and forward email.

There is no web mail software that handles mail delivery.

Not to get wrapped up in technical jargon and get anyone's shorts in a knot:

I wish that squirrelmail would allow the user to set it up so that a message coming in to their address would be forwarded to an external address.

Now to address your statement, if you pm me with a user name and password, I will add you to a system that I am migrating from and you can actually experiment with a webmail client that seems to me to do what I want.

Perhaps I've simply used the wrong words....but I know that the mail can be forwarded without me doing anything...it is controlled by the user via their webmail control panel.

Thom

Hello,

http://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=771

System username forwarder fixed for next release.

Regarding users having the ability to set their own forwarders, no that's not a option because forwarders do no require a pop account, thus no password would be associated with it, hence DA can't authenticate anyone for it's open use.

At the moment, only Vacation messages, email password, email quotas, and ftp account passwords can by end users without needing access to the DA account password.

Vacation: http://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=684
Email pass: http://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=229
Email quota: http://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=643 and http://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=651
Ftp pass: http://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=727

They're all designed with the API in mind, so for anyone adventurous in squirrelmail plugins, that's an example of where they would be used.

John

but I know that the mail can be forwarded without me doing anything...it is controlled by the user via their webmail control panel.

I think you are getting some words mixed up but that's ok. This is how we learn.

Within DA the user can set up forwarders. You do not have to do that, the end user can. But its not done within a webmail interface.

I guess what has me confused is that you said "webmail control panel" This refers to two different things in my opinion. You have webmail and a control panel. They are not one and the same unless I am still misunderstanding you.

DA is the control panel and Squirrelmail is the webmail client, also UebiMiau is available as a webmail client. The user can create the forwarder from the DA control panel but not in either of the webmail clients. If you know of a webmail client that can do that then please tell us the name of it.

I think you are getting some words mixed up but that's ok. This is how we learn.

Within DA the user can set up forwarders. You do not have to do that, the end user can. But its not done within a webmail interface.

Can an email only user do that? I don't think so.

I guess what has me confused is that you said "webmail control panel" This refers to two different things in my opinion. You have webmail and a control panel. They are not one and the same unless I am still misunderstanding you.

Ah yes....the dreaded terminology "control panel". To me Control Panels are like sex....some are better than others, all should get you where you want to go. But, I suppose in the interest of clarification, I could have said the presentation to the email user that allows he or she to alter configurations that affect the delievery of his or her mail, regardless of a local or off-site destination.

DA is the control panel and Squirrelmail is the webmail client, also UebiMiau is available as a webmail client. The user can create the forwarder from the DA control panel but not in either of the webmail clients.

Can an email only user access the control panel to create a forwarder? I don't think so....they can only reack webmail.....which os why I was asking about a webmail client that allowed the user to setup a forwarding mechanism.

If you know of a webmail client that can do that then please tell us the name of it.

Sure....it's one that I use now, and many of my customers use now, and one that they will ask me to install.

http://www.openwebmail.org/

As I mentioned before, I'd be more than happy to create an account for you on a system that uses it so that you can see what I am talking about, since I may not be using correct terminology.

PS....there have been several threads here by folks asking about it...apparently there are others who know about it.

Thom

Last edited:
A user of ours asked me this question tonight ... very easily solved:

Here's his solution on how he did it in DirectAdmin:

1) Log into my control panel
2) Click on Files to get into the file manager. Do not navigate to any subdirectories.
3) At the bottom, in the dialog for "Create New File", enter .forward (that is dot-forward)
4) Click on the create button
5) In the text box that appears, enter the email address where you want the messages sent to and press Save As

The testing message that I sent was forwarded to my account in the .forwrad file. It was not left in the default email account, which is exactly what I wanted.

A user of ours asked me this question tonight ... very easily solved:

Here's his solution on how he did it in DirectAdmin:

But of course if he was an email-only user, he doesn;t have access to the control panel, and therefore can't set up a forward.

I have customers who have fairly large organizations.....on the system I am now using, the site administrator can create non-administrator users....and each one of them can set up forwarding mechanisms, either through their own control panel, or via openwebmail.

As I migrate that site to the DA box, as far as I can tell, I can have one "user" who can access the control panel. That user can create number of email-only users, who can not set up a forward.

If that's the case, I will have x number of customers who must do a lot more work to administer their sites. That's OK, since the advantages of DA are numerous, but I till come back to the original question about having a webmail client handle the forwarding.

From the user perspective, it is counter-intuitive that the new system(DA) gives them far less control of their email than the old system.

Thom

Can an email only user do that?

Of course not since that is not a real user but a virtual user. I don't think you made that clear before that you were talking about email only. I think you just said user.

It seems to me that the one in control of the domain which is the real user should be responsible for email accounts and forwarders. That user would have DA access.

Sure....it's one that I use now, and many of my customers use now, and one that they will ask me to install.

http://www.openwebmail.org/

Then install it and be done with it. You already have your answer. You just need to install it.

Then install it and be done with it. You already have your answer. You just need to install it.

From what I can tell, while it can be done on a server-wide basis, the DA software would need to automatically create config files when a domain is added.

Perhaps someday either DA will take that step or openwebmail will.

Thanks for your comments, I've learned quite a bit from the interchange.

Thom

Back