SquirrelMail 1.4.10a Released

smtalk

Administrator
Staff member
The 1.4.10 release contains multiple fixes for cross site scripting issues triggered by viewing HTML mail. Besides that it contains bug fixes and stability enhancements.

Download here

Just use Wael's update script [over at the How-to / Guides section] if I'm not mistaken... I shall be shortly :)

Nath.

no probs... I thought thats all that Wael's script did - but in a handy format lol

Anyhow sorry... I'm being offtopic here.

Cheers
Nath

If you want to update, just run this:
Code:
cd /usr/local/directadmin/scripts
perl -pi -e 's/1.4.9a/1.4.10a/' squirrelmail.sh
./squirrelmail.sh

I'm getting the following error when trying to log in (first time I have this with a SM upgrade):

Error opening ../data/default_pref
Could not create initial preference file!
/var/local/squirrelmail/data/ should be writable by user apache
Please contact your system administrator and report this error.

The data directory is used for storing user preferences, like signature, name and theme. You need to create this directory yourself.
This directory must be writable by the webserver. If your webserver is running as the user "apache" and group "apache" you can fix this by running:
$ chown -R apache:apache /var/local/squirrelmail/data

The data path is wrong.. normally its /var/www/html/squirrelmail/data/ and not /var/local/squirrelmail/data/

You can edit that by logging in as root to your box and type

cd /var/www/html/squirrelmail/config/
./config.pl

choose option 4, then you can set the path by option 1 and 2:)

Just fased the same problem too, this fixed it ;)

I tried to get squirrelmail1.4.9a to work but it didn't. Gives me this error

Default preference file not found or not readable!
Please contact your system administrator and report this error.

So I saw this thread and tried to update squirrelmail using the method smtalk gave with that perl command.

That gave this error

cp: `/var/www/html/squirrelmail/data' and `/var/www/html/squirrelmail-1.4.9a/data' are the same file

Digging around, I found the 1.4.9a upgrade thread and followed the step of replacing 1.4.9a in squirrelmail.sh with 1.4.10a, that seemed to work since SM now shows 1.4.10a in browser.

But the same problem with ../data/default_pref still exists. :(

Last edited:
emmanuel, try this:
Code:
chown -R apache:apache /var/www/html/squirrelmail-1.4.10a/data

Hi smtalk, I did that already based on your earlier post but it's not working.

Ok fixed it, for some reason apparently apache isn't running as apache:apache but webapps:apache :/

Thanks

Last edited:
Hello,

Thanks for the report. It looks like squirrelmail decided to change the default config.php file on us, so we'll have to adjust and set the settings the way we need. Try running the following:
Code:
/usr/bin/perl -pi -e 's#/var/local/squirrelmail/data/#/var/www/html/squirrelmail/data/#' /var/www/html/squirrelmail/config/config.php
/usr/bin/perl -pi -e 's#/var/local/squirrelmail/attach/#/var/www/html/squirrelmail/data/#' /var/www/html/squirrelmail/config/config.php
I've added that to the squirrelmail.sh file for the next release.
But as a workaround until then, I've just edited the default squirrelmail tar.gz package so that the /var/local isn't used..rather /var/www/html instead.

John

Hello,

Thanks for the report. It looks like squirrelmail decided to change the default config.php file on us, so we'll have to adjust and set the settings the way we need. Try running the following:
Code:
/usr/bin/perl -pi -e 's#/var/local/squirrelmail/data/#/var/www/html/squirrelmail/data/#' /var/www/html/squirrelmail/config/config.php
/usr/bin/perl -pi -e 's#/var/local/squirrelmail/attach/#/var/www/html/squirrelmail/data/#' /var/www/html/squirrelmail/config/config.php
I've added that to the squirrelmail.sh file for the next release.
But as a workaround until then, I've just edited the default squirrelmail tar.gz package so that the /var/local isn't used..rather /var/www/html instead.

John
Hi all

updated my squirrelmail to 1.4.10a yesterday and getting the error below, now the error is only when i try and send mail as admin@mydomain, if i reset a customers password and it sends the customer a mail this is ok from admin@mydomain but when i compose or reply to mails it gives me error below. I have checked other accounts and all can send mail ok, this only started after my update yesterday.

Message not sent. Server replied:

Authentication failed
535 Incorrect authentication data

login in via ssh and then telnet to localhost 25 sends a mail from admin@mydomain fine, anyone got idea whats wrong with squirrelmail?

update: logged in to directadmin cp and changed the admin pass, now when i login to squirrelmail it lets me send mail, why would it let me login with old pass but not send mail since the old pass must have been correct to login?

anyways works

Last edited:
OK
thanks
that post was 1 year old but I got it solved by this command

chown -R webapps:apache /var/www/html/squirrelmail-1.4.17/data

I put it here so if others have problem can refer to it:)

Default preference file not found or not readable

Hello Friends,

I have solved this problem by this way,
# ln -s /usr/local/src/squirrelmail-1.4.19 email.html
or
# ln -s /usr/local/src/squirrelmail-1.4.19 sqmail
# chown apache.apache -R /usr/local/src/squirrelmail-1.4.19/data

Back