Unzip in File Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

niall_bk

Verified User
A common request from customers to our support is can we unzip a zip file that has been uploaded. Would it be possible to add a feature to the file manager to uncompress files like .zip and .tar.gz?

I'm not sure exactly how exactly it would be implemented interface wise, but it would be a very useful feature.

Niall.

Yes, I would like this too..

Just like the .tar.gz unpack option :)
I love that one.

It saves bandwith and upload time.

I think we had already explored this option... the problem was that unzip isn't a standard binary on all OS's. We can look into the option of adding an install script for it though, we'll keep it in mind when deciding on future features.

John

Hi,

From my experience with Installatron, it's only Debian that doesn't include unzip, and in those cases I've been able to just copy a binary that was complied for any other Linux server.

Cheers!

Phil.

Yes, I would like this too..

Just like the .tar.gz unpack option :)
I love that one.

It saves bandwith and upload time.

You seem to imply that it is already possible to unpack a .tar.gz file from the File Manager. Where then, is this ".tar.gz unpack option"?

Thanks,

Johannes

unzip

Is there any progress on this one ? If zip is aready installed why is unzip still not available ?

ok - it works with tar.gz, but what about .gz

ok - it works with tar.gz, (extract link is shown) but what about .gz - no link is being displayed for this file extension ... and that is how your system is packing downloaded database - it uses .gz not .tar.gz

question: how to unpack '.gz file uploaded to your DA?

I'm not sure why you mean by your.

John of JBMC, publishers of DirectAdmin, already wrote above why he doesn't include functionality requiring unszip.

To unzip a file ending in .gz you should use the program gunzip. It may or may not be installed on your system.

Jeff

ok - it works with tar.gz, but what about .gz

Thank you jlasman for answer.

John of JBMC, publishers of DirectAdmin, already wrote above why he doesn't include functionality requiring unszip.
I haven't mention zip anywhere in my post ... I believe.

To unzip a file ending in .gz you should use the program gunzip. It may or may not be installed on your system.
Wouldn't you say that it stands a reason to say that if system uses by default .gz to pack database you chose to download (download link in Your User->[domain]->MySQL Menu->download backup link), it should BY DEFAULT be capable to unpack same .gz file without any unnecessary gymnastics around it?
Unless my logic travels along different pathways.

Regards,

Jeff

It doesn't matter what I say. Hopefully John will comment on this thread.

Jeff

Hello,

The gz filetype only compresses 1 single file.
A tar file is a combination of many files, so tar.gz is many files, compressed into a gz.

So just a gz file does not support holding many files within the 1 gz file, which is why it's not currently an option in the filemanager.

There are quite a few compression filetypes that we could support. We've just added the ones that are most useful, that people can actually use.

Yes, the databases are just a single gz file, but that only compresses the 1 sql file, hence it's not as relevant for managing multiple files in the file manager. If I had all the time in the world, I could add just "gz", but for the sake of optimizing my time for adding new features and preventing bloat of less used items, there are other things that I can be doing.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back