DirectAdmin Version 2 - Discussion, ideas, opinions and anything else!

A direct email access login, for change password etc... like email level but with no setup & plugin needed.

And a secure mail server :D

data tally speed optimization?

every 1am or so, the server gets rediculously slow and i hear complaints from customer all the time because of this.

it seems every 1 am , directadmin calculates each user's diskspace etc, which uses up a lot of cpu power.

about 90% of the cpu usage is webalizer, as it has to parse through gigs of logs. You can disable webalizer if you want to see what difference it makes for you (varies on site size and traffic for the exact ratio of DA to webalizer usage)
http://www.directadmin.com/features.php?id=507

You can also change the time at which it runs if you want if for example 4am is a better time for you.
Based on this guide, just change the cron time (instead of adding more like the guide describes)
http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=48

John

You can also try cpulimit :) It will take more time to do the job, but it won't take many resources.

Perhaps DA v2 can places a CAPTCHA (Completely Automated Public Turing to tell Computers from Humans Apart) input on the login screen that is used to detect whether or not a human is attempting to log in. This helps prevent automated login attacks.

Then are there any other alternatives to this dilemma? Surely I can't be the only one having this problem.

Is this the time for me to implement Awstats or something like Urchin?

How is this supposed to happen? We have been waiting for AWStats for a few years. Now were going to get supported languages on top of this? How? What resources and when?

And now it's here :))

Version 2 ever?

This discussion about DirectAdmin version 2 goes since 2004.

Is there any possibility to see a version 2 ever?

If yes, do we have to pay for an upgrade if we have a lifetime license?

This thread was not started by DirectAdmin staff, and was never meant to be an official thread.

I can't speak for the folk at JBMC (publishers of DirectAdmin), but maybe they'll answer the thread.

Jeff

Hello,

I see no need to rewrite the entire control panel for the same features.
We will continue to makes changes, add feature and improvments, but the version number is likely not ever going to be "2.x.x". 1.x.x can go up as high as we want eg: 1.874347.3 ;) If we need any core changes, then we'll make those core changes, leave everything else as is, and flip up the subversion by another digit, but the main vesion is likely going to remain "1".

John

Server farm - We need the ability to link servers together, creating a "farm" as it is called. Some will setup each server to perform a specific task (one for httpd, one for sql, one for mail, etc.), and yet others will link servers together only to easily move users from server-to-server (all servers handle everything for the users residing thereon). The new user levels system, explained below, MUST be global across all servers in a farm.

Custom user levels - Administrator, reseller, and user are nice defaults, but I will love to have the ability to add new "levels" with completely custom features (e.g., Email-only levels, etc.).

yes, yes.... YES

This thread was not started by DirectAdmin staff, and was never meant to be an official thread.

I can't speak for the folk at JBMC (publishers of DirectAdmin), but maybe they'll answer the thread.

Jeff

!!! DOH! :(

We still need the farm functionality. ::poke::

Hello,

Regarding server farms, the complexity of the email system makes it very difficult to move to a remote server, so email woud likely forever live on the controlling DA box.

However, for mysql, you can already send that out to another server to reduce load on the main box:
http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=140

For dns, you can also already mirror the dns data to multiple DA boxes to create a dns cluster:
http://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=97

As for making a current DA box faster, other things admins can do would be things like using a network file systems to allow a remote apache box use roundrobin dns to lower cpu on the main DA box for resource intensive scripts. The remote box would connect to the DA box using an nfs, and host the files normally through apache. Any php scripts using mysql would simply speciy the remote host, whereever it may be.

For simpler setups where it's just static data out to users (videos, images, files, etc), using rysnc to keep data synced is a fairly simple task for an admin to setup. We use it with our files.directadmin.com for foreign mirrors, eg: files4.directadmin.com.

Ultimately, DA was designed for a single-server setup. Changing that core architecture after the fact would be extremely difficult.

John

Regarding server farms, the complexity of the email system makes it very difficult to move to a remote server, so email would likely forever live on the controlling DA box.
I just want to add to this that you can already run both your own separate outgoing email server for all outgoing email (access it on non-standard port for security, and then firewall off all outgoing traffic to destination port 25 on your DirectAdmin server). You can carefully examine all outgoing email on that server (which will have plenty of resources available to do it) to make sure it's mail you really want to send.

Incoming email is a bit more difficult, but folk have already posted on these forums examples of how to do it, keeping the incoming server aware of all valid email addresses on the new server, copying over certain files and directories to a DirectAdmin-like structure on the outgoing mail server.

You can also buy commercial products specifically designed for both incoming and outgoing email, which will still manage final email delivery on your DirectAdmin server.

Or you can re-skin DirectAdmin, ignore the DirectAdmin mail stuff except for mail to the domain owner user accounts, and manage your own email elsewhere.

Some possibilities include:
Zimbra
Vexim
Google

Jeff

Back