Don't Delete This Message -- Folder Internal Data

knorde

Verified User
When i delete a message in webmail (horde) i get the follow mail:

Subject: DON'T DELETE THIS MESSAGE -- FOLDER INTERNAL DATA

This text is part of the internal format of your mail folder, and is not
a real message. It is created automatically by the mail system software.
If deleted, important folder data will be lost, and it will be re-created
with the data reset to initial values.

Anybody knows how to fix this? (i use it on directadmin)

That's just created by imapd to keep track of some settings. I've deleted it all the time when testing, nothing came of it. (will just be recreated when you reuse imapd)

John

Is there no solution for this problem?
Only i get the mail when i make my inbox empty by webmail...

Yes, it's imapd's own message, so it knows to hide it. Squirrelmail and imap both use the imapd which is why you don't normally see it. Webmail uses pop, which doesn't know to hide imapd's message, so it just ends up downloading it.

John

If tested 2 webmail based programma (squirrelmail and horde) but with both the programs when i empty my mailbox en then collect my e-mail thrue outlook i get that message.

Yes, they both use imap, so the imapd will create the message each time. If it's bugging you, you could switch over to using imap on your local machine instead of pop. (They wern't really designed to work together.)

Joh

Have someone find solution for that?
I have users that ask me the same.
And that not easy to learn all off them how to switch to imap...
and thats is not solving the problem I think..

Sorry
is this right :
I will not have this problem if I only use pop or imap?

The problem comes when switching from imap to pop?

This is not really a problem. I think DA summed it up quite nicely.
Yes, it's imapd's own message, so it knows to hide it. Squirrelmail and imap both use the imapd which is why you don't normally see it. Webmail uses pop, which doesn't know to hide imapd's message, so it just ends up downloading it.

If you want to get rid of the message then either disable imap or pop access. Otherwise this will continue to happen if a users goes between pop and imap. (At least with the current imapd service)

Jon,

I'd amend that to say "at least with the current pop server and all current pop servers".

All imap servers create the message and know how to handle it. All pop servers do not know how to handle it, so handle it as an ordinary message.

The key is that once you see the message in any pop client it's already been downloaded and erased from the server. So there's nothing to do but delete and let life move on.

Jeff

Hi all,

It is not easy to just "delete it and move on with life" when clients are receiving these messages in their mailboxes every day and complaining to me.

There must be a better solution, lets face it, who really uses IMAP these days compared to POP3? By disabling IMAP access will this stop webmail from working?

It is wrong to say just delete it, or change to IMAP. Why change the format of a clients email which has worked perfectly okay for years?

A sensible suggestion for a solution would be far more useful than a simple just delete it comment. I get these messages nearly every day, it's almost as annoying as SPAM.

Cheers,
Bret

Hi John,

Thanks for a more useful reply. Forgive my ignorance but will normal POP3 in Outlook be ok with Dovecot?

What do my clients use for webmail? Does Divecot replace the likes of Squirrelmail etc?

Sorry for the questions, I just don't fancy re-building my server and with this install being non-reversable it is a bit of a concern.

Many thanks,
Bret

Users shouldn't notice anything different, other than increased performance (pop will still work).
The same /webmail and /squirrelmail clients will be used.. they're not changed.

John

Thanks John, I think that's just made my mind up.

I'll give it a go and see what happens, it'll be good to stop that message coming through, I didn't realise my clients were receiving it too until I got complaints.

Many thanks for your help.

Bret

Just one more quick question if I may?

I have just installed and configured Spamassassin on all of my accounts, and edited exim.conf to use it.

Does Exim still run as normal and will Spamassassin still work OK?

Cheers,
Bret

Unless you've made other changes you haven't told us about, yes.

Jeff

change pop3 daemon

i run into same problem and it's not very hard to solve it...

i just commented a line in /etc/inetd.conf with:
#pop3 stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/popa3d

and replaced it with:
pop3 stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/ipop3d

so i changed the pop3 deamon...

Hello,

The "internal" data was a message used by wu-imapd to store inbox information. It wasn't even really important for wu-imapd.
It has zero relevance for dovecot.
It's completely safe to delete, especially if you're running dovecot.

John

Back