How to setup nameservers with one IP

SolidFX

Hello, I've just bought a VPS with DirectAdmin and I was wondering if I was setting up my nameservers correctly. I've read a lot of tutorials, but most of them say that I need two IPs. Is it possible to do it with one IP address? I've taken all of the steps to setup nameservers, but instead of giving each nameserver a different IP, I gave them both the same IP. Will that work or do I need to do something else?

Thanks.

Nameservers must be set up with the registrar of the domain as well: for example if your nameservers are ns1.example.net and ns2.example.net, you must set them up with the registrar for example.net. Setting up a nameserver is NOT the same as assigning it, and just how you do it differs from registrar to registrar, so I can't tell you how to do it.

If your registrar accepts one IP#, then everything will work as it should EXCEPT:

Each nameserver should really be on a separate physical server. If it's not, then if your machine fails your site-visitors will get a message that the domain doesn't exist.

Additionally anyone who checks their domain hosted on your server with one of the checking utilities available on the 'net will be told your DNS is broken.

Jeff

Hello,

in my server i have for example :
ns1.domain.com
ns2.domain.com
Ips on those is similar ! for example : 78.125.45.X .......... those are similar.
and in my child name server in domain Control panel i have set those with one ip.
i had not problem , i installed direct-admin last 3 days.
i want know i will do not have problem in future?

Thanks.

You need to set up your nameservers at your registrar.

If you have, and they've accepted your registration, then you're good.

Since you've given us incorrect information (you do NOT own domain.com) it's impossible for us to check for you.

Jeff

Okay, thank youf or the reply. I'm aware that i need to set it up with my registrar and I will do that. My one IP I have is assigned to the server, will this still work?

Thanks.

Okay, thank youf or the reply. I'm aware that i need to set it up with my registrar and I will do that. My one IP I have is assigned to the server, will this still work?
Thanks.

Some of the TLD's(like .nl) do check your nameservers when registering a domain and fail to register when they see that they are both on the same IP.

Some of them (like .de) even fail when your nameservers are on the same subnet.

After setting the nameserver does it takes some time before you can use them? I can't add them to a domain because I get an error that ns1.xxx.com and n2.xxx.com do not resolve.

Thanks

I am trying to use the name servers via no-ip domain registar and I get an error Please enter valid registered nameservers; Nameservers must resolve.

I have added the nameservers for the domain and assigned a different ip for ns1 & ns2

In order here's what you have to do:

1) Decide what IP#(s) to use for your nameserver(s).

2) Decide what domain name to use for your nameserver(s).

3) Create A records for ns1 and for ns2 at the zone file for that domain.

4) At the registrar for that domain create those nameservers (sometimes called hosts). This is the hardest part to explain since the exact procedure differs; your domain registrar is responsible.

Have you done all that? Did you get any errors?

If you still need help please post the real nameserver names and IP#s and the real domain name names and IP#s.

Jeff

Sorry for digging this old thread from its grave, but I have the same issue as the thread starter, and it seems like a good place to follow up...

The setup I had until a few days ago was using just one IP and it worked just fine. Records are set up correctly at my registrar. Unfortunately, however, I deleted one of the nameservers in the DA panel. Now, when I try to readd both nameservers using the same IP, it is impossible, as directadmin tells me I need two IPs. How can I get around this? Thank you!

Thank you for enforcing netiquette - this should happen more often. In this case, however, I don't think it is warranted.

Reason for necroposting: This issue has historic relevance, as setting up nameservers with just one IP *used* to be possible in Directadmin. I chose to follow up on this older thread so the younger folks can't claim otherwise.

Also, it is *not* a double post. I am not having troubles tying a second nameserver to a different IP anymore - that issue is solved. This is a different problem now, and I don't think that anyone can be expected to dig through my lengthy ramblings about German Internic in order to help me set up nameservers with one ip - that is neither necessary nor efficient.

PS: Sorry to hear about Jeff passing away - wasn't aware of that.

Most of the registrars don't accept same ip for 2 nameservers, for example IT. domains.
@staff_nowa his advice is your solution here , use your registrars NS servers but downside is you have to copy any NS record changes to your registrar but that should be so hard

Most of the registrars don't accept same ip for 2 nameservers, for example IT. domains.
@staff_nowa his advice is your solution here , use your registrars NS servers but downside is you have to copy any NS record changes to your registrar but that should be so hard
Never had any issue. Just from one provider change into cloud flare. Almost records their copied theme self

Best practice use your server provider NS servers. Why you need to have your own name servers?
Are you sure that is considered "best practice"? To me it sounds like "Why do you need to have your own car when you can ride the bus?" (And ironically, I agree on the bus.)

To be fair, the issue is starting to confuse me. I've had my own ns1 and ns2 for ages, but on my server, resolv.conf is pointing to Google's IPs. Does that mean I am running my own nameservers? I guess so.

The Nameserver settings in Directadmin always reflected this, so I never bothered to find out if they are necessary. My sites are still reachable even though there's currently only a single entry for ns1, but my hunch is it's not compliant with some rule, so some browser, search engine or provider might see it as a violation and block my sites or harm me another way.

Last but not least, I'm getting too much spam as of recent. One approach is to query spam databases like URIBL, but these get typically blocked when the query comes via Google's IPs.

Hope this makes sense.

To be fair, the issue is starting to confuse me. I've had my own ns1 and ns2 for ages, but on my server, resolv.conf is pointing to Google's IPs. Does that mean I am running my own nameservers? I guess so.

The 2 have nothing to do with each other. resolv.conf is the nameservers your server uses to resolve domains. Like if you do a wget weather.com from your server resolv.conf is used to resolve weather.com. It has nothing to do with resolving domains hosted on your server.

The Nameserver settings in Directadmin always reflected this, so I never bothered to find out if they are necessary. My sites are still reachable even though there's currently only a single entry for ns1, but my hunch is it's not compliant with some rule, so some browser, search engine or provider might see it as a violation and block my sites or harm me another way.

These nameservers are what is set in the zone file for the domain you are hosting. When you look at the zone file you will see those 2 nameservers that are in the nameservers setting in DA.

In this case, however, I don't think it is warranted.
It is. It's still necroposting and I won't contribute in this thread. Come on, it's 16 years old. Does not contain any valueble info and nothing which can't be spoken or ask of in your own thread.
Next to that, often after such amount of time, things tend to have changed.

I don't appreciate such kind of necroposting in any case. You could have pointed to this thread in your own thread. That is how it works with netetiquette. And it's in fact the same problem as in your other post, so can be seen as doublepost.

Back