VM-Pop3d stops many times daily

jimtsop

Verified User
We have 9 servers running directadmin and 3 of them have the same problem. I’m using vm-pop3d -d 30 -t 600 but still I have problems with vm-pop3d service, especially on one of the servers (4-5 times daily).

I’ve noticed that %CPU usage of vm-pop3d is growing up to 100% and after that the service gets frozen without a reason.

Most of the times it doesn’t start from directadmin > service monitor so we have to restart it manually using ssh and the vm-pop3d -d 30 -t 600 command.

Do you have any idea on how we should resolve this matter? It’s really annoying as we have to be “stand by“ 24 hours a day just for this.

I know that dovecot is a solution, but the problem is that the server has 250 domains and 1500 email accounts and if something goes wrong there will be much more problems...

Do you know the main reasons of the vm-pop3d problem? Is there a limit for mailboxes using vm-pop3d?

Do you know the main reasons of the vm-pop3d problem? Is there a limit for mailboxes using vm-pop3d?

No, and No. I'd suggest asking on a vm-pop3d forum if one exists. DirectAdmin is moving toward using Dovecot.

While I cannot guarantee your conversion to Dovecot unless I do it (and we DO offer it as a commercial service), we've successfully converted servers with more domains and more mailboxes. We've not had any problems doing so except that it could take quite a while, and mail is NOT available during that time.

Jeff

We know how to convert to dovecot, but the problem is that we couldn't stop those servers.

Moving those users from a server with vm-pop3d to a dovecot server would do that conversion from the backup file?

Moving those users from a server with vm-pop3d to a dovecot server would do that conversion from the backup file?

That will take longer than simply converting to Dovecot.

But, at least is it going to be converted automatically? Or we still have to convert after the backup restore?

Conversion to Dovecot either way is automatic I think. I am not sure about the backup/restore option.

I think I may have misunderstood.

During the conversion mail is unavailable. During the backup/restore mail is unavailable. (You have to suspend the account so during the backup no files are changed.)

So I thought your concern was speed because of having mail unavailable. I thought you would want to get it done as soon as possible.

So now I don't know what your concern is or what your objective is.

Back