IPV6 support in IP management

rammboy

Verified User
Hi,

Since we are using DA on all of our hosting servers, we are questioning the possibility of adding IPV6 support in the IP management section. That would make adding IPV6 addresses much easier.

Greetings, Rammboy.
(Sorry for my bad English).

IPV6 is currently not supported by DirectAdmin. It'd take a lot of work to support it.

Almost nothing/no-one supports IPV6; does your upstream?

Jeff

IPV6 is currently not supported by DirectAdmin. It'd take a lot of work to support it.

Almost nothing/no-one supports IPV6; does your upstream?

Jeff
Yes, it does, and I'm proud to say that:), because IPV4 is running out..:mad:
it can't be so hard to integrate, it is similar to IPV4 in manual mode, or is it?:)

But since (for example) my upstream doesn't support it (and for most of us,even if all our upstreams do, our local desktop servers don't), how are you saving any IP#s? You still need at least one IPv4 IP# for each server or I can't see your sites.

Jeff

Hello,

We will likely be adding it once there is more demand for it. I have yet to see it out in the real world (perhaps I'm not looking very hard...). As for when we will need to be adding it, I don't know when that will be.

John

I think I came to the conclusion after researching this a bit that if my computer has an IPv4 address I cannot connect to an IPv6 address. I think that is what Jeff is saying. So if you use only IPv6 for your site then almost nobody is going to be able to see it. There is no point in supporting something until there is some progress in it being widely used.

That is correct. I'd love to see DirectAdmin add support for IPv6. That said, I still think it's a lot of work, and it will require support for IPv4 at the same time as long as you need at least some of us, who don't have IPv6 support, to be able to see your site. And i don't see how that helps you save any IP#s.

Jeff

But since (for example) my upstream doesn't support it (and for most of us,even if all our upstreams do, our local desktop servers don't), how are you saving any IP#s? You still need at least one IPv4 IP# for each server or I can't see your sites.

Jeff

IPV4 is reaching it's limit, in 2010 or 2011, it is believed to be reached. So, since at that date we need to leave the IPV4 behind and use the IPV6 addresses, we need to integrate the IPV6 so we can easily switch to IPV6 when it's needed. I understand that this will cost some money (routers etc..), but this money is in our budget. And ok, there are still a lot of IP ranges left but what would you do, when all IP addresses run out and you need more for your servers?:confused::eek: (I don't want to attack you in this case, I just want to make my point in this, do you understand:)?)

btw: I believe IPV6 is supported on most desktop systems, in some you just have to activate it, and that is very easy:).

I believe IPV6 is supported on most desktop systems, in some you just have to activate it, and that is very easy

But if the isp does not support it then it really doesn't matter. Support for ipv6 has to start at the isp level not the user level.

I would like to have ipv6 support too in DA. Of course it's true that not that many people have ipv6-addresses, and that not too many upstream providers support the routing of ipv6 addresses. This makes sense, because if nobody uses it, nobody supports it, and as long as nobody supports it, it wont be used.

I think these are all lame arguments, by the end of the day, someone has to break this vicious circle, and it would be really nice if isp's using DA could be the ones breaking this circle.

Since they are not interchangable it will be a long time before they make any switch.

Since they are not interchangable it will be a long time before they make any switch.

That is exactly my problem. As long as everybody keeps reasoning like that, nothing will happen. And while we're discussing its needs, we will have run out of ipv4-addresses round 2010-2012, then what?!

ip addresses are assigned by organizations like ARIN. Most of the time they assign the ip addresses to the large isp's or other organizations who need a lot of ip addresses. The smaller isp's get there ip addresses from the larger isp's.

The small isp cannot really support it unless their upstream provider supports it. Even if the upstream supports it and the smaller isp supports it it still doesn't do any good unless everybody supports it in some way. ipv4 cannot directly talk to ipv6.

So if your web site is on ipv6 then 99% of the world will not be able to see it.

That is exactly my problem. As long as everybody keeps reasoning like that, nothing will happen. And while we're discussing its needs, we will have run out of ipv4-addresses round 2010-2012, then what?!

Its not your problem is it :)

So if your web site is on ipv6 then 99% of the world will not be able to see it.

I know all that. But especially because ipv4 and ipv6 arent interchangeable, the only working solution there is imho, is to run ipv4 and ipv6 together at the same time on the same servers for the same vhosts. Just so everybody has a transitionphase (as advised by the RIPE). This is however very difficult as long as nobody tries to break the vicious circle.

is to run ipv4 and ipv6 together at the same time on the same servers for the same vhosts.

And how do you propose to deliver the correct ip address to the end user requesting it? If they are on ipv4 and your nameserver gives them an ipv6 address then they will not see your site.

The nameserver needs to be able to tell what kind of ip is asking for the information and then deliver the right kind of ip. I don't think BIND does that yet.

Its not only not our problem but we have no control over it either. Whether DA writes an ipv6 address to the zone file is very irrelevant at this time. There are other major issues that have to be worked out.

And how do you propose to deliver the correct ip address to the end user requesting it? If they are on ipv4 and your nameserver gives them an ipv6 address then they will not see your site.
Actually that part is the easiest; the resolver's ask the nameservers, and the request eventually finds it's way to the authoritative nameserver (or a recent cache). The only real changes necessary are in the resolver (to ask for both the A and the AAAA records). Those changes may already be done; I haven't looked lately.
The nameserver needs to be able to tell what kind of ip is asking for the information and then deliver the right kind of ip. I don't think BIND does that yet.
Not quite; see above. BIND certainlly returns AAAA records if asked for them.
Its not only not our problem but we have no control over it either. Whether DA writes an ipv6 address to the zone file is very irrelevant at this time. There are other major issues that have to be worked out.
The other major issue in DirectAdmin would be to create the right contexts in the userlevel httpd.conf file. Just as DirectAdmin now does it for multiple ports :)80 and :443) it can certainly do it for multiple IP#s. And Apache already supports IPv6 numbers).

My concern is the need. For example, a University in walking distance from my home has more Version 4 IP#s than they can shake a stick at, certainly more than they, you, or I, will ever need. They need to give up sections they don't use.

Will they? Maybe. They're a state entity, and they're chartered for the public good. If the public good requires they give up many thousands of unused IP#s can they resist the pressure? We'll all find out, possibly (though unlikely) by 2012.

Jeff

Back