Not sure what Im doing wrong filling out FTP info...

Alex26

I'm using Dreamweaver CS3 if that matters but I don't know what I'm doing wrong filling out "Remote info" I tried:

Access: FTP
The FTP Host I'm sure is the IP I'm given. So its ##.###.###.###:#### Is the colon and four numbers after it right?
Host Directory:
I think this is the cause, I'm not entirely sure what goes here...I thought it was the server path in FTP management "/home/myusername/"

Login and password I'm sure is my DirectAdmin login:confused:

Thanks

Try if ftp works with any other FTP client (SmartFTP, CuteFTP, Explorer?)

The FTP Host I'm sure is the IP I'm given. So its ##.###.###.###:#### Is the colon and four numbers after it right?

Its impossible to know without giving us the numbers. What 4 number after the colon? I don't understand how people expect us to help without giving us the information.

Well some of us are not experts like you. So people don't know what info they are supposed to provide.

The numbers after the colon are "2222"

Thank you. Now we can help you.

The number 2222 is the port number to connect to the directadmin control panel. You would never use this for ftp.

While some may be experts and some may not be experts none of us are mind readers. You would never call an auto mechanic and ask him to fix your car but make him have to guess what kind of car you owned.

Please read this carefully.

BTW I am NOT an expert. That is why I need all the information you can provide.

Alex26,

It's not about being an expert. It's about wasting valuable time guessing all possible issues. For example without knowing we might waste hours of our time and yours having you debug your ftp daemon.

Floyd,

Be careful about car repair analogies; if you're not careful you'll begin to sound like the latest 1-800-dentist commercial :D.

Jeff

By default FTP uses two ports, and they are: 20 and 21 one is for data and one is for commands. By default FTP will accept connections on port 21.

so it would domain.com:21

I don't know because I don't use the same software you use. I'd think (but I could be wrong) that if you're using the default (as DirectAdmin does) that you wouldn't bother to put in the port number. But I could be wrong.

Jeff

I don't know because I don't use the same software you use. I'd think (but I could be wrong) that if you're using the default (as DirectAdmin does) that you wouldn't bother to put in the port number. But I could be wrong.

Jeff

It should just be ftp.domain.com and that will tell the Application Layer to use port 21. Although some of the applications allow you to use custom port settings due to administrators using port address translation.

Alex try this:
Host: www.YourDomainName.com
Host Directory: www.YourDomainName.com
Username: xxx
Pass: xxx

Login/Pass usually is the same as DA Control panel access unless you changed it.

I'm using Dreamweaver CS3 if that matters but I don't know what I'm doing wrong filling out "Remote info" I tried:

Access: FTP
Host Directory:
I think this is the cause, I'm not entirely sure what goes here...I thought it was the server path in FTP management "/home/myusername/"

Login and password I'm sure is my DirectAdmin login:confused:

Thanks

Last edited:
Back