Do I need any other control panel

jnet

Verified User
To control all aspects of a dedicated server
(talking about control panel) Do I need any thing more beside Directadmin?
:)

I don't know of any control panel that will control all aspects. Control panels are supposed to assist an administrator not take the place of one.

Do I need any thing more beside Directadmin?

The answer to you question is "yes." But another control panel is not the answer. I personally use Webmin to assist me in doing things I already know how to do. I know what I can and cannot do with it when its on the same server as DirectAdmin. You have to know what you are doing BEFORE using any control panel if you are going to be the administrator.

If your relying on control panels to run your server then you do not deserve to own/use a server.

If your relying on control panels to run your server then you do not deserve to own/use a server.

Hey I know ! why some keep telling me this again and again. I just asked a simple question:rolleyes:

Perhaps, jnet, because the way you pose your issues and questions lead people to believe that you really aren't a good sysadmin (I agree that scsi isn't always quite the diplomat), and most of us are really trying to protect you from yourself.

I stand behind my post to which you linked, but I'll add here that I have a friend who uses DirectAdmin, Webmin, and Midnight Commander on his server, whichever is appropriate, and wherever appropriate. He's not a very experienced systems administrator, but he manages, using the points in my post as a guide, to stay out of trouble.

The big issue is, as you've noticed, that when you get into trouble because you've used multiple control software on the same server, no one is going to be too sympathetic.

There are control panels out there that don't require (and sometimes don't even recommend) that you ever do anything as root; Plesk comes to mind. But inevitably they're not as extensible as DirectAdmin. Nor as inexpensive.

DirectAdmin really isn't for everyone. Hopefully it's for you.

Jeff

Back