What is DA plan for Freebsd

DA-Rff

Verified User
THIS POST NOW IS MOOT, CAUSE DA WORKS GREAT UNDER FREEBSD 7.2 64 BIT, I INSTALLED IT WITHOUT ANY PROBLEM.

KUDOS TO DA STAFF.

=============================================

I know these questions have been asked in other places, and receive flack from others as it apparently is considered impatient, or rude or seen as bitching to ask these questions.

But I am a customer and would like to know where I stand as a Freebsd customer of a (formerly...) great control panel on freebsd.

I say formerly, because even though it is still great on older versions of freebsd, it is trouble for those who try it on current stable versions of freebsd (7.1). The beauty of freebsd is the port system (amongs other things) and ofcourse the focus on stability and security.

After I made a choice for freebsd, only after that did I chose DA because it ran well on freebsd.

On these forums we now see freebsd users trying out things on there own, with very very minimal interaction of DA support.

Even though it is great to see users helping each other, DA is not an open source project, and the fact that freebsd users are now starting to share ways to get DA working under 7.1 64 bit, even while freebsd 7.1 is out long already, is worrying me a bit.

Someone once told me that you can judge people's intent by their actions.

Looking at the lack of action with regards to answering questions or moving forward with freebsd 7.1 64, to me it almost seems that DA is getting ready to ditch freebsd support.

So here are my questions to DirectAdmin Support:
- what is the roadmap, plan for Freebsd support
- when will there be a portbased installation script for DA
- when will freebsd 7.1 64 bit be supported

PLEASE DA, tell us - your CUSTOMERS - what your plans are with freebsd.

And even if you tell us that you are intentionally dropping the ball, even knowing that would already help, because hoping for something that will not come, almost seems cruel.

On september 25th 2008 you said something would soon happen, well we are now february 24th 2009, so that is almost a full 5 months, which seems and definitely feels long. I mean if I tell my customers I will soon have a solution for their trouble, but do not act for 5 months, what are my customers going to say?

I still think the combination DA and freebsd is great, but can it please be a up to date combination?

Thanks DA for taking the time to answer.

Other freebsd users, please kick in and help make DA aware that we are still here, and would definitely love to stay.

And those of you who consider this bitching, it is not meant to be that, I would have advised anyone to use DA on their freebsd servers, and would love to be able to do that once more.

Signed by a concerned customer who loves freebsd, 64 bit hardware and DA.

Last edited:
Hello,

Thanks for your post.

Regarding updates and timelines, we were just getting the last release of DA out of the way. Now that it is, the new 64-bit box has just been mounted and the torrent is being downloaded as we speak. We've had a few requests for Debian 5, but I've replied that FreeBSD 7 64-bit is priority over that. We're not dropping FreeBSD, I doubt we ever will. If I had to pick one to drop it would be Fedora 10+, since their release rate is rather quick for us to keep up with. At this time, top of the list is FreeBSD 7 64-bit. I'll be starting work on it once this iso finishes downloading, and hopefully (assuming there are no hidden issues) there should be something by early next week for alpha testing.

John

Thanks John,

Sounds good, wishing you GodSpeed then.

so two questions have been answered:
- your plan is to keep supporting freebsd
- you are working on freebsd 7.1 64 bit

GREAT!:)

Leaves the last one:
- portbased installation /update script for DA

John, can you say anything about that as well?

Thanks

Oliver

I won't rule out ports for certain things (makes installs quicker), but the reality for the major services like apache, php, dovecot, is that the custombuild system saves us immense amounts of time. Having to compile and package binaries for each OS and update of a service would really bog down production here. With custombuild, we simply download a tar.gz and flip a version number. The custombuild script applies to all OS's, all versions and gives us more time for support email and actual development work (like freebsd 7)

John

...the new 64-bit box has just been mounted and the torrent is being downloaded as we speak...

....I'll be starting work on it once this iso finishes downloading, and hopefully (assuming there are no hidden issues) there should be something by early next week for alpha testing.

John

HI John, thursday now, anything available to test?

thanks

Oliver

There are various HowTos about on the forum, one of them being;
http://www.directadmin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27741

That I knew, including the comments of people who tried and failed. I was wondering about the test setup script from DA, not ways to workaround the absence of such a setupscript. But apparently DA is working/testing an installation script, this is what I wanted to try out, call it be a beta tester.

I have now chosen - for the current new production server - to go for freebsd 6.4 and I am looking for another controlpanel with a small footprint that will work on freebsd 7.1 64 bit.

Any suggestions for a working DA alternative, I do not host others, webmin I have heard of, but it seems to be needing too many updates, cpanel is too cumbersome. Any suggestions for a freebsd 7.1 64 bit controlpanel, for a selfhoster?

thanks!

Any suggestions for a working DA alternative, I do not host others, webmin I have heard of, but it seems to be needing too many updates, cpanel is too cumbersome. Any suggestions for a freebsd 7.1 64 bit controlpanel, for a selfhoster?thanks!

I've just been where you are over the past 6 weeks. The alternatives are cruel and things like VirtualMin are crushing on performance compared to even cPanel, something I couldn't imagine not long ago.

This past week I've finished an install of FreeBSD 7.1 on DirectAdmin all the way through including ClamAV, SpamAssassin, eAccelerator, etc. and all of the normal stuff you need. I've saved my procedures exactly including what went wrong and how I fixed it. It is a combination of lots of web posts and getting beat up trying things, finding "misteaks" in other people's procedures, and getting advice from those in and outside of DA. It runs incredibly snappy. There is one more install method I'd like to try before going live with what I have.

I'd like to do a How To, but it would be beholden to so many people so many places that I wouldn't know where to start for credits, and in fact I don't even remember what I got from who. I think here you cannot edit past 15 minutes or so, and it would need to be something that I would have to edit here and there to improve it if it were to be truly useful. Reading a thread 26 pages long with scattered in fixes to the original article is not useful to anyone.

Last edited:
It runs incredibly snappy.

Sounds very good

I'd like to do a How To, but it would be beholden to so many people so many places that I wouldn't know where to start for credits, and in fact I don't even remember what I got from who.

Don't let that stop you!...

I think here you cannot edit past 15 minutes or so, and it would need to be something that I would have to edit here and there to improve it if it were to be truly useful. Reading a thread 26 pages long with scattered in fixes to the original article is not useful to anyone.

On this forum I have seen sticky posts with an attachment or editable first post that keeps on being edited (par example the custombuild sticky post)
Dunno how to get that in place though, how about you start a new thread and ask directadmin support how to make it sticky and editable by you?

edited later: I just looked back at this thread and I see that I can still edit any post that was made by me, so start a new thread and add to the first post, it being the checklist in development.

Last edited:
Back