CentOS 5.2 on Mosso Cloud Server

aquila

Verified User
Hello,

Has any tried deploying DA on CentOS 5.2 with Mosso Cloud server? I was told that I need to create two servers for use as name servers and also they won't give me extra IPs just for use with resellers. They give extra IPs only for SSL and stuff that really needs IPs. So, as far as I can understand, this is how we need to deploy with Mosso.

If you need dedicated IP for resellers:
Server 1: Name server 1
Server 2: Name server 2
Server 3: Main server with DA installed and hosts main admin/reseller
Server 4: Reseller 2
Server 5: Reseller 3

If you plan for a great performance server:
Server 3: Main server with DA installed and probably the web server/FTP server
Server 4: MySQL
Server 5: Email server

Simple set up with no dedicated IPs for resellers:
Server 3: Everything else goes here including DA

My question is, will this kind of set up work with DA? How will a single installation of DA on server 3 update the zone files on name servers in server 1 & 2, and other apps like MySQL, emails, etc in the other set up?

Has any one deployed DA successfully with cloud servers? Please help me with your experience. I'd also like to know if 64-bit is recommended. We are currently using third party libraries such as pdftk which i guess is available only for 32 bit. Will these work in 64 bit without any issues?

Thanks in advance.
Abilash

Why don't you ask DirectAdmin Sales if they'll give you a single month test license, give it a try, and let us know :).

I think I want one for a virtual slave DNS server... it looks interesting.

Jeff

I think I'm going to try out with only one DA server. I will request them for two IPs and use SSL for those names as well as use them as name servers. Anyway, will let you know how it goes.

We're probably going to experiment with a Mosso Cloud server, but I'm not sure we'd ever run a webhosting service on it.

Jeff

Jeff,

If I can ask, why would you never run a web hosting service on a cloud server? For me it very much like a dedicated server. I may be wrong, please guide me.

Thanks,
Abilash

I am interested in the results too. In my case, I have a client who needs high availability - a SAN, db server+fail-over, web server+fail-over (load balanced times n). IMHO, putting the server components in VMs lets the expensive storage subsystem to be shared with the cloud and makes this almost affordable. Would eliminate the need for fancy cluster techniques. Would be running the ISPs Centos Image but should manage the same as 2 server boxen.

I've been using it for a week now it looks good to me. Faster than my old dedicated server. Yes, VMs has made it very affordable.

If I can ask, why would you never run a web hosting service on a cloud server? For me it very much like a dedicated server. I may be wrong, please guide me.
the Mosso cloud is implemented as VPS servers. I would be willing to use VPS servers.

As far as using the cloud, the concept appears a bit too ambiguous to me. I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable telling my users we host them in the cloud because the cloud is often described as being ambiguous; somewhere out there.

For what it's worth, the Mosso cloud is entirely at one location; I'm not sure I'd call it anything but a VPS. But they call it a cloud, so I judge it as a cloud.

We'll be testing it for slave DNS.

Jeff

Back